Ritual Scroll text

i ment more like this example

I CALL UPON THE POWER OF <aspect> MAGIC TO CRAFT THE AUDIBLE PROJECTION RITUAL. <declare choices>

That text is if the scroll is able to be spell crafted. Not all are, so not all scrolls have that.

You could say "Begin ritual casting," and literally stare at the necessary things and be quiet the entire time (exception to Enchantment and Expanded Enchantment, which require you to cast a spell).
I know you are not condoning this but to anyone else reading this who is (or wants to be) a ritual caster: please don't do this. Do something! Anything! Bring candles, mumble made-up incants, fall down and pretend to have a seizure... but please please do something to make the ritual interesting.

I know you are not condoning this but to anyone else reading this who is (or wants to be) a ritual caster: please don't do this. Do something! Anything! Bring candles, mumble made-up incants, fall down and pretend to have a seizure... but please please do something to make the ritual interesting.

Actually, as a Marshal, I completely condone it. It's not illegal. I expect it wouldn't get a lot of love from Plot for Empowerment effects.

I certainly encourage better roleplay for rituals, but as a rules marshal, I would never harp on someone for doing the bare minimum, especially if they find the casting to be stressful from a player-experience.

I now want to have a ritual where I stare at the scroll silently for four minutes then bite down on a fizz tab and begin shaking on the floor while alka-seltzer foam pours out of my mouth. (I'd tell the marshal in advance that I'm doing something weird and I'm actually okay when it happens.)

I now want to have a ritual where I stare at the scroll silently for four minutes then bite down on a fizz tab and begin shaking on the floor while alka-seltzer foam pours out of my mouth. (I'd tell the marshal in advance that I'm doing something weird and I'm actually okay when it happens.)

I give you "Seizure Casting."

Actually, as a Marshal, I completely condone it. It's not illegal. I expect it wouldn't get a lot of love from Plot for Empowerment effects.

I certainly encourage better roleplay for rituals, but as a rules marshal, I would never harp on someone for doing the bare minimum, especially if they find the casting to be stressful from a player-experience.

Hell, if your caster happens to be of the mental-focused sort, that could even be perfectly in-character as far as ritual casting methods go. Plus it has the benefit of not risking making any religious implications as far as ritual work goes.

That's the Spellcraft wording, and it's the same for all Spellcrafted rituals that can be legally Spellcrafted.

Are we not clear? Not all scrolls are able to be spellcrafted via High Magic.

The only time anything else uses that is "Dragon Magic" which is a plot effect and will be handled by plot if and when needed.

seems I have to clarify again.

I CALL UPON THE POWER OF <aspect> MAGIC TO CAST (INSERT RITUAL NAME) RITUAL. <declare choices>

Hello, there!

The ritual system has several key words or phrases that are standardized incantation phrases, all of these are used to denote doing different things with rituals.

There are three things that can be done with rituals:

1) Spell crafting:
The incant is:
I CALL UPON THE POWER OF <aspect> MAGIC TO CRAFT THE AUDIBLE PROJECTION RITUAL. <declare choices>

As you noted above.

However, NOT ALL RITUALS can be spellcrafted. This means not every ritual will have a spellcrafting section (with rules governing it, which includes a would-be incant).

2) Standard ritual casting (in a circle of power, limited circle of power, perma circle of power, etc.):
The incant is:
Begin ritual casting!

That's it. The Marshal calls a hold, checks the scrolls, components, and asks people in the circle various pre-determined questions, then calls a lay-on and allows the caster to cast the ritual in-game.

3) Battle casting rituals:
Nearly always performed by NPC's, there are various ways that it can be delivered:

Powerful "dragon mage" or "shadow mage" characters will use this incant:
I call upon the power of <power> to cast the <name of ritual> ritual!
Example:
I call upon the power of The Emperor to cast the Racial Transformation Ritual to Hobling ritual!

Other, more powerful creatures (such as Dragons themselves) can cast rituals innately and don't need a full incant; delivery is often determined by monster theme, or if the monster is really powerful, monster's choice:

Magic <ritual name>
Spellstrike <ritual name>
Elemental <ritual name>

And if they are feeling particularly rude:
Acrane <ritual name>
or
Voice <ritual name>

From an item using an NPC-only ritual:
Active <ritual name>

There are one or two more, but Fae Curse and Greater Fae Curse are their own thing in the rulebook if you're curious to look them up.

Hope that clears things up for you.

The only thing I would add to the above is that Spellcrafting is a High Magic (ARB p134) ability wherein you use a scroll to generate a temporary effect without consuming the scroll, e.g. you can take an Earth Aura* scroll and either cast it (making a weapon that lasts 1 year without extenders) or Spellcraft it (making a weapon that lasts 5 days, but the scroll is not consumed).

*Edit: pretend I said Monster Slayer or something, apparently Earth Aura isn't spellcraftable. My bad! :)

Last edited:
That's been mentioned multiple times....

Also, just for accuracy's sake, Earth Aura can't be spellcrafted.

Earth should be correct. It should have its opposites with Summon Extraplanar Creature which is Celestial (and also in the ritual text twice). Celestial and Earth have their different summons to make it even. (Summon Undead is Necromantic so it doesn't count in this).

Weirdly, there's two Extraplanar entries. One is for Magical Creature, one is for Panthergaunts.

Both are Celestial.

Weirdly, there's two Extraplanar entries. One is for Magical Creature, one is for Panthergaunts.

Both are Celestial.

Wrong. One is for Extra-planar Creature, one is for Panthergasts/gaunts. (which now makes sense why there is two).

Magical Creature is different than Extra-planar Creature.

This ritual allows the caster to summon one Magical Creature from its plane.

Its in the text, bro. It might be a typo, but it's there. :p

Technically aren't all extraplanar creatures magical in nature? So yes technically true, but the monster card will state Extraplanar (and I feel the ritual should also state extraplanar not magical creature as they are two separate creatures per Monster Slayer and the Monster Database's monster type).

The same text block also switches to Extraplanar Creature, even more evidence this is a typo. :p so there! lol

Back