Public discussion, Ritual concept "Create Transfer Gem"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shen [he/him]

Scholar
Chicago Staff
Marshal
After a couple months of keeping in my suggestion box, I wanted to bring the concept to the general public and see what actionable positive or negative feedback there might be. As while *I* think it would be great for players overall and that *I* think players generally would love the ritual. The players are available and we can find out for sure what general public opinion might be since I haven't received anything for this topic otherwise beyond some supportive post reactions.

Myself and several other people have been chatting and considering the concept of PCs "creating" transfer Gems. As Transfer Gems have been a stable and immense added value for the game in the last two years it seems logical that the PCs could be able to manage their creation. Opening a lot of player agency, economic fluctuation, and willingness to consume resources as they are more easily transported to various games and events.

-change of Rules Needed-
Addition of a New Ritual & New Catalyst. Assign TP value to scroll.

- how it works-
My Ritual write up probably needs a lot of "shortening up" to be more clear and also more sucicnt. But basically, a player casts the ritual and creates an empty vessel. That vessel is a valid target for any future Ritual, but once that first Ritual is cast into the gem, any additional rituals must follow that same targeting. Allowing PCs to make magic items the same way plot does with the same rules, and the same rules for creating a magic item normally. But now, they have a 'x' Ritual Gem that fits in their pocket to travel 6hours to a game, instead of a car full of stuff.

-Added value-
* Players *
I believe that such a change would fundamentally light a spark under Ritual casters, particularly those who enjoy making items and stockpile rituals just for that situation. It would have an increased fluctuation to economy as enchanters are now able to more easily consume their resources and more easily sell them.

*Staff*
TP is tracked by what game issues it, but there is no further tracking of how or when it's consumed. Players the org wide have scrolls a week old and have scrolls as old as the 2.0 conversion. But before that scrolls varied from 1-5 years at any given time. Particularly the "big 5". TP continues to go out, but we don't see as much Items being created. As a result we can metric dive what games are issuing and what seems popular game-by-game. But the player agency & freedom to create their own Transfer gems /should/ have a direct impact on visibility and metric dives into what players are using and what players consider popular & valuable. Giving local games, arc, national staff additional information that may not have been previously available due to players holding resources till they finally have a use for them.

-Cost of implentation-
No tangible cost to the org. Local games would have an additional Ritual to choose from for TP.
Invisible Costs to the Org. Time. My draft is raw and I know it, but it's concept that owners and arc can see and immediately work with and in theory refine without too much investment (assuming I understand the process). Then as a new thing, I believe, would need an owner vote.

-changes to alliance bylaws-
I don't thing this would effect the bylaws in any way.

-Introduction-
Assuming the idea is liked and is able to be edited and voted on, it could be added to pre- symposium and go live at nationals. Which I think would be an extra great incentive as the ritual could also drop as treasure at nationals and very much "omg exciting" to the events atmosphere... and probably some Ritual casting.

That is all the stuff I remember for submissions, if I forgot anything I appologize. Let me know if there is and it's something I could/should include next time.
---

[Create Transfer Gem]
Aspect: "General"
Type: "Enchantment"
Duration: "Until Used"
Difficulty: "3"
Classification: "Standard"
Extended: "Special"
Reagents: "3-15"
Target: "Any: [Gem]"
Spellcrafted: "False"
Catalyst: "Optional"
Cast Time: "10min"

Description
This ritual creates a Blank Transfer Gem, capable of holding ritual batches of either aspect. A Blank Transfer Gem is a valid target for any ritual, however if multiple rituals are batched, all rituals must follow the same valid targeting as the first ritual. Creating a Transfer Gem involves the exact same process as creating a magic item. The only thing that is changed is that the Blank Gem becomes the target, and any ritual following uses the same targeting rules. Thus you can not cast Assassins Edge (Item: weapon) and Armored Shell (Item: Armor) into the same Gem, as they do not follow the same ritual targeting rules. However Celestial Assassins Edge (Item: Weapon) and Earth Cloak of Darkness (Item: Any) do follow the same targeting rules and would be allowed, just as it would if a real weapon were being enchanted. They would equally be two separate batches which would require two separate extenders. Both aspects may be enchanted into the Gem, just as they could any other item, so long as it doesn't exceed maximum effects, and each batch are extended separately. All cast rituals must follow each of their own rules, Create Transfer Gem doesn't effect those rituals, except to be a valid target for them regardless of their target requirement.

A Finished Transfer Gem is a magic item like any other and follows any and all magic item rules. However no effect contained within a Gem is usable until it is transferred to a valid target. The effects contained within the Gem do not begin to use their duration, until they are transferred to a valid target, in which the local Plot or Logistics team will need to create a new tag for that item and its description, with all of the transfer Gems effects. Effects may not be transferred individually or by individual batch, when a Gem is activated it transfers all effects to the new valid target - those effects simply keep their applicable batch &or extenders.

A Transfer Gem is capable of holding up to 20 effects. For multiple ritual casting purposes, a Blank Transfer Gem follows all the same rules of Batch Casting Rituals. Any batch may be extended with a Boost duration to finish the Batch at a different Chapter (just as any other item creation) , the batch may also be extended, just as any other ritual casting.

Reagents
The Reagents used determine the maximum amount of Ritual effects the Gem can hold. This increase also increases the ritual difficulty.
3 - 3 Reagents, 1-5 Rituals Enchanted
5 - 5 Reagents, 6-10 Rituals Enchanted
8 - 8 Reagents, 11-15 Rituals Enchanted
10 - 10 Reagents, 16-20 Rituals Enchanted

+5 - +5 Reagents, Catalyst - Rituals Enchanted may contain and transfer a Permanent Duration, establishing a spirit lock with the new item and the character who activates the Transfer Gem.

Hi Dwayne,

Three things!

1. I actually kind of like this idea. I'm not certain I fully grokk its actual usage for players, but it's neat! Thanks for sharing.

2. I can confirm that this suggestion was already brought to the Design Team Lead for review and to potentially be sent to ARC for final rules review. The step after that would be an owner vote (assuming it gets past those two committees). If you feel strongly enough about it and want to jump that line, then I would recommend bringing it to an owner. They can skip some of that and use a different process.

3. The commitment to provide a response to items in the suggestion box is approximately 2 hours old as that is when Matt and Dave confirmed that they wanted me to start doing so. We have increased transparency to a LOT of the Alliance business dealings. This includes things like owner votes, etc. But, our design process is a closed-door process as too many cooks absolutely can be a problem in the kitchen. That's probably why you never heard anything specific about it. I'm sorry about that and we'll make sure that doesn't happen again.

Thanks again,

Steve
National CS

One last thing.

It is Alliance Forum policy that we don't have theory-crafting discussions about potential rules or rituals. It has been problematic in the past.
So I do have to lock the thread from further comment.

Thank you,

Steve
National CS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back