Polearm Core - carbon fiber?

Tyson

Scholar
Alliance Rules
Gettysburg Staff
A while back, on the old boards, someone posted a link and some info about using carbon fiber (I think?) cores for 2-handers. I think it was Devon/Talon from Caldaria, but obviously my memory is a bit fuzzy. :)

Does anyone have that info?

Thanks.

Other than, "Sure, its a good idea," what info were you looking for?

Suppliers or something else?

The carbon cores are usually far too whippy to use as a polearm - especially max length. However I've found that two carbon cores wrapped together with electrical tape works very well.

Yeah, Justin. Suppliers I guess, or whatever that original link was. Silly me for not specifying.

Michelle - I know that fiberglass cores get a bit whippy for max length 2-handers. I'm pretty sure that the point of this stuff is that it's less whippy than fiberglass - so it's good for polearms and such but it'd be too stiff for a longsword.

I've been known to use .745" epoxy tubing for polearm cores, I've had no problems with whip flex or core failure (breaking, shattering, etc) to date. I'd like to have some more time to work with these cores in the field, but as yet they've been totally safe.

I use TAP plastics as my source, but I'm pretty sure this stuff is also available from Kite studios and Good Winds Kites
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=144&
I use the od .745 x id .670 x 65" Epoxy Tubing for max length polearms and 2 handers

Tyson said:
Yeah, Justin. Suppliers I guess, or whatever that original link was. Silly me for not specifying.

Michelle - I know that fiberglass cores get a bit whippy for max length 2-handers. I'm pretty sure that the point of this stuff is that it's less whippy than fiberglass - so it's good for polearms and such but it'd be too stiff for a longsword.

And I got confused between carbon fiber and fiberglass.... I'm having an off month LOL

Tyson said:
A while back, on the old boards, someone posted a link and some info about using carbon fiber (I think?) cores for 2-handers. I think it was Devon/Talon from Caldaria, but obviously my memory is a bit fuzzy. :)

Thanks.

I would think asking me directly would have been the most efficient way to get the info... ;) I will try to repost the info...

-Devon

Ezri said:
The carbon cores are usually far too whippy to use as a polearm - especially max length. However I've found that two carbon cores wrapped together with electrical tape works very well.

You are mistaken.

Unless you paid a bunch of money and special ordered it you have likely only ever seen fiberglass cores...

Fiberglass cores are way to whippy.

Carbon fiber cores are very strong and very rigid... almost to the point of being unbelievable.

-Devon

Talon said:
Tyson said:

Thanks.

I would think asking me directly would have been the most efficient way to get the info... ;) I will try to repost the info...

-Devon

########################## REPOST ############################

So I recently decided to experiment with carbon fiber kite spar cores with some very positive results thought I would share.

I got interested the last time I ordered some standard .505 fiberglass kite spar and I noticed that my favorite retailer ( http://www.goodwindskites.com/) also offered Carbon Fiber spar. Unlike the page for the fiberglass the page for the carbon cores listed weights allowing me to see what a weight saving they could be. At first I was a little skeptical because the carbon cores are more expensive and they are thinner meaning that foaming would be more of a pain but the weights listed could represent a 25%-50% savings in core weight over fiberglass.

I decided to take the plunge and order a few various size carbon cores for experimentation. I got cores ranging in size from .5 down to .375. I figured that at the very least I could use the smaller ones for short weapons. I did not bother with the even smaller cores because I know from working with fishing pole cores that anything smaller cannot realistically be foamed with pipe foam.

When the package came I was really quite impressed. These cores are unbelievably lite and strong. In fact the larger cores I ordered (.500 and .472) concerned me because they were too ridged. A weapon that is too stiff can be just as bad as a weapon that is too whippy. I decided to do some real tests.

I set up a deflection test by clamping the cores to a bench with a 28 inch overhang. I chose this length because it is the typical cross guard to tip cantilever on a long sword. I then loaded the tip of the core with various weights and measured deflection from true at 22 inches.

What I found surprised me. The thicker .500 and .472 cores are indeed very ridged and strong. I would recommend them for two handed weapons. But the real surprise was with the .375 core. This core turned out to have nearly identical characteristics (strength and flex)  as .505 fiberglass but at half the weight. This was extra good news because the smaller cores are cheaper. This core only adds about $3 to the cost of a weapon.

So I went ahead and made a long sword out of the .375 core and I have to say it is one of the best weapons I have ever made. This, used in conjunction with other ultra lite construction techniques makes a sword so lite that I think it is safer too... think Cartman trying to kill Kyle with a wiffle bat. It just doesn't do anything.

I will admit that the core's small size make it a pain to foam and the thrusting tips a challenge. If however you are confident in your skills and you want an extremely light weapon then I suggest experimenting with the .375 carbon fiber kite spar.

You can find them here: http://www.goodwindskites.com/merch/list.shtml?cat=framework.pultrudedcarbon

Awesome, thanks man. See I'd have asked ya, but I didn't even know if you signed up for the new boards.

And I'm way too lazy to do something as crazy as looking that up.

Talon said:
Ezri said:

You are mistaken.

Unless you paid a bunch of money and special ordered it you have likely only ever seen fiberglass cores...

Fiberglass cores are way to whippy.

Carbon fiber cores are very strong and very rigid... almost to the point of being unbelievable.

-Devon

Yeah - I realized that mistake. Thanks.

Back