OOG Question Regarding the IG Legality of Gasses

Amber-Rose

It's here and not in the IG forums because this is reguarding an OOC issues and terminology. I've been having a hard time finding out what elixirs and gasses as legal in Foxbridge. Plot kindly forwarded me a document of the IG laws, but as it turns out I'm still a bit fuzzy on how they translate to the OOG mechanics.

Would I be wrong to generalize by saying "Commands are illegal, but Alterations are fine"? Are Sleeps illegal? Seriously, is there like a list somewhere...

I'm sorry to ask this out of game, but I have also asked in game and received varied responses. I do have a copy of the charter, but I've only PCed once before and my knowledge of how to translate IG information to mechanical specs is lacking.

Thank you for your time,
Andy / Isodel

I am not well versed on the local laws IG of Sedovia... So this is a only general info
The Greater Commands: Amnesia, Enslavement, Euphoria, and Love #9 are usually illegal I have heard of places that simply having the recipe for Love #9 is grounds for actions.. Amnesia.. is generally frowned upon but accepted under specific conditions. the other 2 are non-standard and can't be produced via standard production.

As far as basic commands... Usually Berserk is not accepted. Mystic Wood Elves will generally give you a ration of poo for Dominate or Love.. As far as Sleeps... I haven't ran into a place that was against it so long as it was used against the enemy and not the population. Though some of the more "Honorable" fighters will object to it being as it removes the enemy's ability to conduct a defense.

I will be having these questions ingame at this gather as well, Grimmloch hasnt been to Sedovia in some time.

Last edited:
It's here and not in the IG forums because this is reguarding an OOC issues and terminology. I've been having a hard time finding out what elixirs and gasses as legal in Foxbridge. Plot kindly forwarded me a document of the IG laws, but as it turns out I'm still a bit fuzzy on how they translate to the OOG mechanics.

Would I be wrong to generalize by saying "Commands are illegal, but Alterations are fine"? Are Sleeps illegal? Seriously, is there like a list somewhere...

I'm sorry to ask this out of game, but I have also asked in game and received varied responses. I do have a copy of the charter, but I've only PCed once before and my knowledge of how to translate IG information to mechanical specs is lacking.

Thank you for your time,
Andy / Isodel

This is not a response regarding the laws. What this response is is a clarification as to how Effect Categories work.

Commands are stuff that literally go into your brain and make it do things it otherwise wouldn't want to do.

Alterations are stuff that go into your brain and alter your body chemistry, making your body work in funky ways.

Curses are negative effects that can sorta act like alterations, but because they're based on existing spells, they are Curse-category.

The following alchemies are Command:

Sleep
Berserk
Dominate
Love

The following alchemies are Alteration:
Intoxicate
Paranoia
Laugh
Vertigo
Nausea,
Feeblemind

The following alchemies are Curse:
Weakness
Paralysis

The following alchemy is Gift:
Death

The following alchemy is Greater Command:
Love #9

Ergo, if there's a law with a blanket statement of "Commands are illegal!" then Sleep, Dominate, and Berserk are illegal, and -probably- Love #9.

They're listed by type in the book, but I don't know that the legality of a gas is based on its type ^u^;; .

I assume dominates are illegal because of the bit in the charter about slavery, although they're not listed under the specific things that are banned (which, if I remember correctly, only actually lists greater commands - I have to get back to a computer to check), but I have no idea if there any other "not illegal in themselves but illegal in practice, even against enemies" type things.

Here are Illegal Substances per the laws:

The banned substances are:

i. Amnesia Elixir

ii. Love Potion #9 Elixir

iii. Love Elixir

iv. Red Euphoria

v. Berserk Elixir

vi. Death Elixir

o It is lawful for those of Noble rank to carry Death Elixirs for the purposes of carrying out the execution of criminals. This is to ensure as pain-free a death as possible, and as protection against retributive Magics such as Vengeance.

vii. Euphoria

viii. Enslavement Elixir

While these two would be most relevant to the use of alchemy (as people tend to use alchemy to do these):

Disturbing the Common Peace

i. It shall be considered a crime to create civic disturbances through overt actions of disturbance of the common peace through actions of wanton destruction, seditious speech, drunken brawling, assault on the people of Sedovia, or disruption of trade and commerce.

o Punishable by fines, imprisonment, and or community service as befits the crime.

c. Kidnapping and Slavery

i. Kidnapping is defined as seizing, detaining, and carrying away by unlawful force or fraud any good person of the Kingdom of Sedovia.

o Punished by fines, imprisonment, or community service as befits the crime.

As you can see, you could possibly break the law by using the alchemy to seize, detain, and carry away a person. These are up to interpretation by the Magistrate.

I hope that helps clarify.

but I have no idea if there any other "not illegal in themselves but illegal in practice, even against enemies" type things.

And that you will have to find out in game.

I didnt mention Euphoria in his list as it isn't able to be created via standard alchemy production... Thanks for the laws. I had it written down somewhere but cant find that notebook for some reason.

Thank you all for your help and input!

Back