New sword and shield

KyleH

Hello everyone! Last event I found out that my shield and sword are extremely small, and it is hard to block hits, and hit people with my sword. So I was going to make a new sword and shield, but I don't know what materials to get or how to make them. If someone could post a reply of the materials I need to get and maybe a link to a walk through that would help me make it, that would be awesome. Thank you!

PVC pipe and foam insulation is what I use. I found a pipe cutter at Menards that works well for cutting the pipe smoothly and easily. Then for the thrusting tip I got some craft foam from the local craft store (Hobby Lobby).

The measurements, and thickness requirements are in the rule book along with step by step weapon creation:

http://alliancelarp.com/alliancerulebook.pdf

page 81 is measurements and 84 is the step by step how to build them.

I can't help more than that since I've only NPC'd so far but the instructions were easy to follow for my experiments.

Materials you'll want for a short sword:
30" piece of 1/2" CPVC OR 1/2" PVC (stocked at most hardware stores, the CPVC is lighter but a little harder to find)
5/8" thick tan pipe foam for 1/2" pipe (Menards carries it consistently, but it's hard to find at other hardware stores)
Duct tape in appropriate colors (typically cheapest at a hardware store - Duck Tape brand has a lot of color options)
2" thick open cell foam (Joann Fabric has a "high density" foam that works well for thrusting tips)

The rulebook's instructions work fairly well, just make sure you have plenty of tape connecting the foam to the core and make sure you leave about 1/2"-1" between the end of the core and the end of your foam. You should fill in that space with some extra pipe foam.

I thought 1/2" CPVC would have too much whip. Is that not the case under a certain length?
I use 1/2 PVC but my weapons are quite large and heavy.

CPVC is fine for short weapons, but you're absolutely right that it would be too weak/whippy for longer weapons.

So my dad and I are about to go get the supplies to make the sword, but what do I need for the shield?

Do you want a strap shield of a punch shield?

1.5 to 2 in pink insulation Foam works it comes in big sheets that they can cut for you at the store. Also a drawer handle and the ward ware and washers to attach it. A strap is a little tricky mine are all repurposed from my prior shields buy hardware strapping may work well. You also need closed cell for the shield border and copious amounts of the color tape of your choice.

To cut this insulation, I recommend a serated knife of nice size. (I used a watermelon knife in all honesty. )

Hope this helps I can also try to help with diagrams or math.

Let me know,

Vicki

Back