In the ArchMage's Chambers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Az'Caine looks up from his studies at the knock on the door. Seeing the gypsy woman he furrows his brow and mutters under his breath "for the sake of the King and Calandonia". He steadies his nerves and tries to put a neutral expression onto his face.

"The Ward recognizes Nadja into it." He waits until she enters the room, motions for one of the seats before him. "Magi Rhialto and Farr'Shen will join us momentarily. Please, have a seat." within moments the Massive Saar War-Sage and Magi Rhialto enter the Ward. Rhialto, being the last in the room, turns and closes the door. Once all are seated the ArchMage turns to the gypsy. "So? What is this news you have of King Ulric?"

"That I have found him, I have even seen him and he is alive." Nadja pauses to enjoy the momentary, almost completely hidden, look of surprise on the magi's faces before continuing.

"While I was trapped in the Astral realm I was able to view things in other realms, some did not make sense to me and other sights were very familiar. You have an Imp watching you sometimes here in this chamber Az'Caine, in case you didn't know. And killing the fat elf a few months back, quite impressive as you didn't even flinch. Anyway...one of the places I was able to see was the city of Duskholm. It is there that I saw our King. He is alive but being held captive by a Medusa of a lot of power, he appeared to be some kind of ruler as everyone was always bowing to him. I tried speaking to the King, but I wasn't able to interact with him directly, I mostly could only observe although sometimes if I tried hard enough I could influence objects in his room, such as moving a container of food or water closer to him when his captures would put it just out of reach and he was too weak to reach it. Those actions weren't much I know, but I hope they were enough to help keep him alive while I was there. He is not being treated very kindly, I observed many injuries and his food is scarce, although they appear to not want to kill him yet. I scouted out as much of Duskholm as I could in my astral state, and what I discovered isn't as much as I had hoped but perhaps with your knowledge and great libraries you can find out more about the city. The only way into the city is through a portal, which can only be opened at dusk and needs a portal key. I was able to locate a map to find pieces of this portal key here in our realm, but it was in pieces, so I used my physic powers to influence the map pieces themselves into being found by those I knew would get them to you." Pausing to take a breath and observe the tension building in the 3 magi's' posture even though their expressions remained neutral, Nadja continues "I was also able to determine that it appears no more than 20 people at a time can come through the portal into Duskholm, I never once observed a larger group than that arriving on the Duskholm side while I watched. The Medusa holding our beloved King is not the only Medusa in Duskholm either, I saw at least 2 more who looked of higher rank, possibly even equal ranked to the one holding Ulric captive. Where the King is being held is a large manor complex, there is only one main entrance, and the complex is just on the edge of the city. Being an estate of that size however, I firmly believe that there are other, secretive, ways in that could be found. Most estates such as that have alternate entrances and exits." Nadja stops as the important parts of her have been told. But a thought crosses her mind and she speaks again.

"When I realized there was being made no attempts to find me, I had to push my psychic abilities to their limit in order to try and be heard, I felt it was imperative that I be rescued so that I could bring you this information on the King so that we can rescue him in all haste. I am told that my attempts at communicating with those of you on this side was at one time a tad strong as I knocked several people unconscious, and removed several protection auras, I regret that I wasn't able to control my ability to tone it down some, but I will not apologies as I believe my knowledge is that important to us all. You and I have no great love for each other Az'Caine, but we both love our King and want nothing more than to have him back. You also helped rescue me, for which I am grateful. You have probably noticed that your joints are feeling a bit better in the last couple days ya?" Smiling Nadja sits back prepared to answer any further questions the 3 magi may have for her.

After what seems like an eternity of the three magi staring at her while they absorb her news, Nadja sighs slightly and says "It seems I may have rendered you speechless. If you have no questions for me, I should get going, the family wants to leave soon and I wish to say goodbye to them before they do. I will remain around town for a few more days if you do have any questions for me on this matter." She stands, giving the ArchMage a slight bow with her head, and moves towards the door ready to be dismissed. "By your leave ArchMage?"

"Well." Az'Caine begins. "This information is not new, but at least it has been corroborated now. I have the portal key complete and will be sending those able back to the Breach. There are several more experiments we need to do on the portal key to ensure it works correctly and that will take a few more weeks. We may only have one attempt to retrieve the King with this key, so all has to be in place before the attempt can be made." He looks over to the other Magi who in turn nod there agreement.

"I thank you for your service to Calandonia, even if it had severe impacts on the lives of so many. Let us hope there is not a repeat of that incident." Az'Caine holds her gaze for a moment to ensure the gypsy understands his meaning. "You may go. I do not think we have more to discuss. The WARD recognizes you out." Az'Caine stands and motions for Nadja to exit the room.

An Adeptus Major knocks on the ArchMage's Chamber. "ArchMage! An urgent message from a patrol of the Home Guard." the overly excited man states. Az'Caine looks up from his endless paperwork. "Fine Fine! Don't send yourself to the Resurrection Circle from the excitement. The Ward acknowledges Gregor in." not waiting for the Major ramble he cuts the man short "What is it? What in Calandonia could be so urgent?" he hold out his hand waiting for the Adeptus to give him the missive. Cracking the Home Guard seal Az'Caine reads over the report. His eyes widen slightly in surprise. "well then" he mumbles under his breath. Re-reading the note he looks to the messenger.

"It seems that there is a problem that was brought upon us by that accursed Gypsy woman. Always problems they seem to bring. Fetch me Mobeus Greyloch. I believe he is in the Library by last reports. It seems he has some unfinished business at the Tower of Al'Zoon." Az'Caine lets out a heavy sigh. "And fetch me Magi Corstar. Tell her I need her books on Wards and Permanency Rituals. It appears the seals on the Tower are no longer holding steady."

"The Ward sees you out. And be quick about it!" Az'Caine states, a bit of urgency in his voice.

Not skipping a beat, Mobeus steadies himself and announces himself firmly and loudly that the Archmage is aware of his presence with the utmost of haste. While quietly waiting for a response, he brushes away some of the wrinkles in his clothing, and moves some of his hair from his eyes. Mobeus glances around at the other Mages who seem to cautiously look and continue on their way.

The ArchMage once again looks up from his desk. "Ah Mobeus. The WARD recognises you in." Waiting fo Mobeus to take his seat Az'Caine lets out a sigh. "My boy, you look like you have not slept in weeks. I am just waiting on Magi Corstar to attend us as well. She has some information that we require. Have your studies been fruitful?" the ArchMage waits for a reply.

Mobeus looks thoughtful for a moment, "There were leads that dead ended, and some information I learned didn't even seem reasonable. Many things I hope to go into greater detail of discovery when we have the freedom to do so. Priority as always is the King's return, and much of that information I have learned I hope to spread through those who will join us from Parson's Breach." He counts on his fingers, "We learned of the three households, some of their fancies, some of their weaknesses, a hobbling's favour with a elemental might aid us there as well, as well as a couple methods of approach... I hope to have the time to thoroughly go through some of these methods with our people.." Mobeus stops for a moment and looks at his surroundings, "...but I have a feeling there is always more to do and never enough time to research." Mobeus nods his head after all his recounting.

a soft wrap on the door indicates the two mages are not alone. Az'Caine looks to the door and the serene face of Magi Corstar and an Aspirant behind her carrying a large chest. "Please enter Lady Corstar, please have your assistant put your research over by the desk." Az'Caine says and turns back to Mobeus as Magi Corstar settles into her seat and dismisses her assistant out of the Ward.

"It seems" Az'Caine begins "that when you left the Tower of Alzoon, something did not seal the Wards properly. I know you removed several papers, maps it seemed with incomplete portal key codes but those should not have triggered any breach in the Ward. Was there anything else that was removed? It would have had to have been something more personal, or keyed to the Tower itself." Az'Caine looks to Lady Corstar who nods her agreement in the AchMage's assessment.

The ArchMage awaits Mobeus' answer.

Mobeus nods his head, "Yes indeed, we were there seeking part of the magnet, but we took almost anything not bolted down. Including portal key stones, a few ritual scrolls, some minor magical items, many maps and papers.. many bottles of ink... coins..." he pauses for a moment and thinks, "To be honest if none of those things caused issue with the seal, perhaps I need to consult with the team to see what else there may have been. Oh yes... there was also a small puzzled box. Hmm is that of any aid?"

Both of the Magi's eyes widen a bit at the mention of the Portal Keys. "I'm assuming you are not referring to the piece of the Portal Key that unlocks Duskholm? I perused through your maps and many of them have incomplete keys which is why I assume they were left behind. Research to places on Fortanis that Alzoon did not have time to complete. But if you removed other keys, then yes. This could be the source of the, well, leaks, I would assume is the best description of the problem." Az'Caine states with a look to Magi Corstar for her nod of understanding the ArchMage's train of thought.

"We have sent a small contingent of Arcane Sanctum members with the Home Guard to the area on constant patrol to try to stem the problem of creatures escaping the tower, but even they cannot block them all." the ArchMage continues. "You will have to open some portals once you are at the Breach. I will attune you to it. You will have to take a contingent of Arcane Sanctum members with you to piece back together the original Catalyst that we used to seal the tower. Once you gather the 7 parts we can then send the Magi to the tower to re-cast the Ward. This will take time. You will need to find the pieces. It won't be easy. You will have to find where the pieces were kept. We do know where two of the pieces are. The rest will require some study in the Library and asking around to other Conclave-Pentas. The tower was sealed over 200 years ago and the catalyst broken to ensure it's power cannot be used against us. Unfortunately during the Great War the whereabouts of the majority of the Pieces have been lost.

The ArchMage pauses for a bit to let Mobeus absorb all the information. He awaits any questions.

Entering his room from the portal of the castle, Az'Caine calls for an attendant. "Find Magi Corstar! Have her bring me a Destroy Magic Item ritual and the Catalyst from our vaults." The ArchMage moves to his desk to prepare his Circle of Power and pulls several reagents from his chest beside it. He only has to wait a few minutes for Magi Corstar to make her way to his chambers with the required items.

He looks to her and gathers all his items needed to cast. "You're with me on this. I may need your help with the King." seeing Magi Corstar's puzzled expression he explains what he has found upon the King. Without another word both Wizards make their way to the King through the portal in Az'Caines antechamber.

The ArchMage rests upon his bed, thoroughly exhausted. It has been decades since a Ritual backlashed with him in it and it takes its toll on the body.

A soft knock on the door brings Az'Caine from his thoughts. He sits up, his new white hair cascading down his back. He looks to the door to see Magi Rhialto and Magi Kurak. "Please, come in. Do not dally."

Without another word both Magi make there way into the chambers and sit on the comfy chairs that adorn the ArchMage's room. "Well, I have never seen a mess like that in many years." begins Magi Kurak with his matter-of-fact tone. Rhilato winces a bit at the lack of tact that the Magi has, but it is his culture's way. "I believe the last time was the Day of Crows." he continues which brings an audible gasp from Rhialto. "Magi Kurak, this is not the time to be bringing up the past." he says softly trying to deflect the conversation.

Az'Caine waves his hand to silence Rhialto. "It is not of a concern. Magi Kurak does have a point, albeit one that needs not be mentioned. Once Magi Corstar is back at the Sanctum, I need everyone set to the task to find out about this Ring. Kurak, I need you to probe the King's mind, we must know what is beneath the surface. There is more to his mood than just that of a captive. This is not the first time Ulric has been interrogated by his enemies." the ArchMage pauses.

"Rhialto, I need you to look into the Ring itself. We need to know its origins and quickly. Magi Corstar and myself will begin preparing a more potent Ritual to remove it once we learn more of the Ring itself."

Magi Rhialto sits forward a bit "My Lord ArchMage, with the devastation wrought with the last attempt, where do you propose we try this again? I fear another event like this could turn the citizens to riot. We need somewhere more isolated, but with a powerful Circle. One that is Permanent."

Az'Caine looks to the Magi with a smirk. "I already know the perfect spot. There are even a couple of Crystals of Power there to give the Ritual a boost."

Dated: July 9

The ArchMage looks up at the knock. "Ah yes, Commander. Please, do come in. The Ward recognizes you to enter. Please sit, we have much to discuss. I assume you are here to talk about the recent events at Parson's Breach?" the ArchMage sits back in his chair and listens to the Commander's concerns....

The Commander approaches Az’Caine’ s desk, “Good day,” bowing his head towards him before taking a seat.

“I’ve got scouting reports for Faybridge, Parson’s Breach as well as Rocholm and the Dark Reaches.”

“Everything looks good for the Faybridge area and the upcoming Festival of Crows. They have the usual local troubles, but no large scale impending threats. Word has it the Giovanni’s crew is headed in that direction.”

“The Hammer Outfitters have reported that the shock wave from last month’s attempt to remove the King’s ring has caused little damage to the mines. If anything, it caused some of the mountain sides to slide exposing more veins of ore.”

“Parson’s Breach is oddly quiet right now. The mountain folk seem to be leaving the King’s Road alone, but the road traffic is down with the caravans going around the north and south of the range heading to Faybridge.”

“Activity along the border od the Dark Reaches is picking up. There seems to be a lot of movement inside their borders. Larger camp fires are seen in the distance, we’ve tried sending in more scouts, they either get turned back right away, or not come back at all. I’ve assigned three more legions to head to the area.”

“This brings me to my next report, with moving the three legions towards the Dark Reaches, I’ve had to strip some of the units in the south and west of Calanda. This also is putting a strain on our ability to keep the King’s Road clear. We have to raise troops. There are more details in the report, but to high light some of the concerns that need addressing. Pay, need to look at restructuring the pay grade. Lack of support and resources witch we’ve started to implement already. Inability to maintain order, with our numbers so low in some areas, the Home Guard just cannot maintain the peace. Mercenaries are starting to take over in some areas of the region.”

Pausing a moment, he looks down at the last report in his hand. “And my final report weighs heavily on me. Normally I would take this to the King, but right now I do not feel he is ready to make such a decision. It’s about the Colonel, I do not feel he is fit to lead the Home Guard at this time. Everything is in the report. It is my recommendation the he be retired, given a small country estate to live out his life. He has done great service in the past for both kingdom and the Home Guard, but I see dark times on the horizon and the Home Guard and the kingdom are going to need a strong leader that is present, standing with the King.”

Taking a deep breath, Lucien seems to relax a bit.

The ArchMage ponders the information for a bit. Letting it all sink in. "Some items I will bring to the King. Hopefully the medicines he has been taking will keep him calm while we discuss the matters of the Realm. I thank you for your report. You may take your leave when you are ready."

A knock at the door brings another sigh to the lips of Az'Caine. "What is it?" he asks, impatience and irritation escapes with the words.

"There is an Adventurer waiting to see you. He says his name is Garradin. He appears to be a gypsy, but his dress is rather, lacking of color." the confused Lore Seeker states.

"Ah yes. I know of him. Please, send him up at once. Then I wish to be left alone after that meeting for the evening." The ArchMage states with no uncertain terms in his words.

"Thank you my Reagent," standing and bowing. the Commander turns and leaves.

Garridan approaches the Arch Mags chamber door,and knocks,announcing. "Arch Mage,er ah Regent, it is Garridan to see you."

"Ah yes, Garridan. Took you long enough to get up those stairs huh? But at any rate, please enter my Ward and speak your mind." the ArchMage states, a tone of impatience creeping into his voice.

Ah yes,thank you Arch Mae." He says enterig the chambers and closing the door behind him.

"I thank you for seeing me, I won't take up too much of your time. My firts order of business,is to apologise for letting his Highness get ahold of my swords after the ritual. I should have been more aware, but my initial reaction to strike his highness, in order to stop him, was quickly overcome by common sense." Garridan bows to the Arch Mage, "I am sorry he took me by surprise."

Straigtening, Garridan says, "Secondly I was tasked to deliver a letter to his highness for the Squire Hamish. I am aware that the King is likely "busy" with other matters that you and the others are attending to, so I thought it best to deliver the letter to you. I did not think it likely I would gain an audience with his Highness until he is ready to deal with matters like these again." He says this as he pulls out a scroll and hands it to the Arch Mage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back