For those that misunderstood

After this last gather I wanted to make sure the waters were clear on a certain situation that happened to me in front of those that attended the final gathering of the season.

I, Vincent Tarethial, am not a necromancer!

When the dirty, undead soldiers marched into the field it could have been anyone that did exactly what I did. I didn't cast any spells, and I am not proficient enough to be able to cast any, strictly, verbal magics. I took a leap of faith when I stepped out on to the field, told the undead to halt, and followed that with an order for them to turn left.

(With talks of the fact that our two enemies this gather, were also enemies and wanted each other dead crossed my mind when the confusion with the undead was prevalent)

I jumped the gun because I figured out why the undead were there in the first place. I never really thought ahead after I gave the orders to them.

Know this! I may be an earth caster, but I swore many years ago, (more like a fraction of time compared to some adventurers) I would never succumb to any chaos, or necromantic magics. I feel I ruined my reputation with many of the people I began to call allies and I feel it's only proper that in some way I can right this. My training involves me following some dark paths, but I would never allow myself to actually stoop so low. I'm sorry my recklessness raised such alarm as well as the curse that had been on me, clouding my judgement. I can only hope that my apology will at least help some think better of me. I speak the truth when I say my heart is on the side of good.

My belief is sometimes you need a little chance to get things done. If further proof of my innocence is needed I will willingly provide whatever means it takes to help improve adventurers opinion of me, after all, I'm by everyone's side.

Signed,
Vincent Tarethial

First off, da only t'ing you just apologized for was dat an alarm was raised, which is basically sayin' "I'm sorry you got upset," so, uh, no, your apology don't help.

Second, you are now tellin' everyone in Fortannis dat prancing out onto da field of battle in front of every adventurer wit'in a hundred miles an' barking commands at two dozen skeletons in da hopes dat DE UNDEAD WILL DO YOUR BIDDING is what you consider to be "takin' a chance."

You got cleared of da charge of necromancy by proper aut'orities, so you ain't gonna get stabbed in da back by anyone because of dis. All da same, I t'ink I prefer you stay away from me. I ain't wanna catch what you got if it be spreadin'.

-Angrag

You attempted to command undead, it does not matter if you used magic to do so or not. By the laws of Icenia you were found not guilty and my oath of service to M'Lord compels me to accept that decision. Take comfort in the fact that you did not try this in a place where the laws of my people were primary. I know not of what "dark paths" your training leads you down, but if it is darker than the paths of everyone around you, and this is a group of people who are well trained in Murder, Lies, Fairy Magic and Trade, I strongly suggest you train in something else.

By even attempting to do what you did you crossed a line, and should be grateful to the Nobility that they have given you the opportunity to cross back to the other side.

-Dorgun the Dark, but not Scary Dark, Happy Dark, Osprey
Spymaster to Lord Amaranthus Landcharmer of Brittington.

Well that's a good start towards a vote of confidence I guess. I can ensure you that there is nothing infectious or contagious with the actions I performed on that field, and if it weren't for the curse that was effecting my judgement, I might have thought more about the situation before I acted if not for the curse on myself. But this isn't an answer I can provide for my fellow adventurers. The, "dark paths" I speak of are very similar to yours, Dorgun, like you, I have vowed to never in anyway have Chaosmancy or necromancy as one of my tools of war. For now I only hope my future actions can prove that I am not, and never will (as long as I am in my own mind) step towards illegal magics.

I've admitted to the unaccepted guest that speaks to me in my mind to everyone for this very reason. In the event similar actions begin to happen I would hope the adventurers would recognize this, and take the appropriate, humane, actions towards it. Higher security on myself and my actions will also go unquestioned as I realize the seriousness of my actions.

As I said before, I can only hope to make things right with my fellow adventurers

Last edited:
Vincent,

You were found not guilty by reason of being compelled against your will. Do yourself a favor and stop talking before I change my mind.

Countess Ezri Silverthorn
Amani Council

Vincent,

I have never sworn such an oath. For those who know the difference between what is Right and what is Wrong such oaths are not needed, for those who do not they are not worth the breath it takes to swear them. I will, for the sake of peace between us, assume that your insult was not intentional.

Dorgun of the Osprey

Vincent,
Bad judgement when aired before all as evidence of innocence is a contagious idea, so do not think that you are doing no harm to anyone here right now. Were there more chances we might actually meet until the end of the winter I would not even speak in this place. I prefer to have these conversations privately. However I fear for what those still learning might think were the words you are placing here be allowed to fester for months unanswered.

Take the Countess advice. Those last two words should be all the explanation of why you need.

There are beings of great power in this world. I wonder if we will not be seeing many more of them in the coming year. Because of their power they can force us to see things, hear things, dream things, and grant us the ability to do things. But in every one of these instances you have a choice. If you are enslaved and made a puppet that is one thing, but anything short of that is a choice you make. Even the youngest of us has that ability. Ponder that and what Dorgun has said about right and wrong...I could not have said it better myself. I submit you may be best to ponder it quietly.

Captain Simon Neville
Court Wizard of the Ash Forest

The laws say you are not a necromancer, and I am following your laws, but when you command undead, I know that you are a necromancer.

If my people stepped onto a boat in the open sea, we turned into undead. So we did not go onto boats in the open sea. Because then we would be necromancers. If you thought you could command the undead, and then you did, then in my eyes you are a necromancer.

Do not touch anything I own. Do not talk to me.

Jorma Raskstal

Forgive me for any offense that was taken. Handling personal failures isn't an art form im used to. One is too many in my book and I managed several over the few days. I'll be using these winter months to better myself

Many apologies - Vincent

Back