Would You If You Could?

(if someone can tell me/help me make a poll for this I would love the help).

You (the player NOT the character) are offered the following deal- in exchange for NEVER being able to use/activate ANY magic items you get the following-

- any weapon/armor you wield gains the Indestructible quality
- the ability to call "magic" with any weapon attack
- 1/day per 10 levels (rounded down) Spell Shield, Magic Armor, Elemental Shield, Poison Shield

I would. Would you?

Dunno. I like the flexibility in flavor that magic items can bring. I'm saving up my NPC GS to get my sword enchanted with Monster Slayer: Undead. The ability to swing "magic" simply wouldn't get the intent of being a focused undead hunter across. Not saying it would be a bad trade off, but in the end would be too generic for me.

Nah. Aside from the fact that it would make each of my characters significantly underpowered for their level, the loss of utility is a huge factor. Sometimes I need to use a Life item, or a Rit of Woe, or use the Celestial Circle, or a Flame Aura weapon, or any number of other things. I'd be all for a really massive MI restriction ("5 rits per person" or something) so long as it was equitable across the board, but I wouldn't give up utility by limiting myself to a specific set of rituals.

Not even a little bit, even if I was playing the fighter build this was obviously geared towards.

If it was an event-by-event basis? Oh sure, until I actually got some MIs worth having.

Excellent points all around.

Dunno. I like the flexibility in flavor that magic items can bring. I'm saving up my NPC GS to get my sword enchanted with Monster Slayer: Undead. The ability to swing "magic" simply wouldn't get the intent of being a focused undead hunter across. Not saying it would be a bad trade off, but in the end would be too generic for me.

The pursuit of items that define a character- I love this pursuit myself. Now if only I cared/wanted to learn the ritual system.

Not even a little bit, even if I was playing the fighter build this was obviously geared towards.

If it was an event-by-event basis? Oh sure, until I actually got some MIs worth having.

I don't see this as a fighter build. I see this as a "I can touch/effect everything in the game" build. And my mindset is that is pretty much (outside of CLW items to heal others to let them play) all I want out of the game. I don't want to HAVE to have magic items to effect stuff.

As written, no.

The only way currently for my high ritual character to wear 30 points of armor is via Arcane Armor. I am otherwise limited to the 15 point scholar maximum physical armor.

So unless AA for scholars was somehow addressed, I'd pass.

I like where you are going with this.

The question seems to be, "what are the *minimum currently magic item provided effects* you feel you REQUIRE as your character, and if they could be provided to you, could you be tempted out of the magic items system."

I think it may be different for each character, and if there were a way to provide your "top 4-6" or less favs, would you be tempted to quit the system if you could get those.

I would say no. This would lead to fairly cookie cutter builds. Yes, there would be variations in weapons wielded but the skills and such would be pretty much all the same.

No I would not.

RuneBrighteyes said:
- any weapon/armor you wield gains the Indestructible quality
- the ability to call "magic" with any weapon attack
RuneBrighteyes said:
I don't see this as a fighter build. I see this as a "I can touch/effect everything in the game" build. And my mindset is that is pretty much (outside of CLW items to heal others to let them play) all I want out of the game. I don't want to HAVE to have magic items to effect stuff.

2 of your target points are focused on weapons and armor. This would mean you are angled at fighter and rogue types more than anything. Any caster would basically be losing out.

No. 1) Completely eliminates much of the need for blacksmiths and the roleplay and coin-based economy takes a further hit. 2) That doesn't really appeal to me as a Barbarian character who would feel uneasy about such enchantments (even if you told him it was an Earth-based enchantment). 3) That would hurt scroll makers and potion makers and the roleplay and coin-based economy similar to #1. It would also contribute to the skill/defenses bloat of NPCs, who would also get this ability.

OrcFighterFTW said:
No. 1) Completely eliminates much of the need for blacksmiths and the roleplay and coin-based economy takes a further hit. 2) That doesn't really appeal to me as a Barbarian character who would feel uneasy about such enchantments (even if you told him it was an Earth-based enchantment). 3) That would hurt scroll makers and potion makers and the roleplay and coin-based economy similar to #1. It would also contribute to the skill/defenses bloat of NPCs, who would also get this ability.

RuneBrighteyes said:
You (the player NOT the character)

Player...not your character. So your reason for #2 shouldn't apply. As for #'s 1 & 3. They exists now, I can even have it on one item. I have a (x)/d spell shield on my sword, now its indestructible till it runs out and as of right now there are people that have more then what some one could with #3.

Myself and my character share the same views. Apply #2 to all Barbarians and Biata from a game design and balance perspective.

Since basically all I want out of magic items is to be able to walk up to something and hit it, then yes I would be down with this. It would work for my fighter, my rogue, my other rogue, and my bare fisted earth scholar.

OrcFighterFTW said:
Myself and my character share the same views. Apply #2 to all Barbarians and Biata from a game design and balance perspective.

So every time your barbarian gets a magic armor, he doesn't like it, regardless of source? Race Reaver is earth, and gives the "magic" carrier. Poison Shield as a spell is Earth-only. If your character wants to RP unease with it, that's your call, but this is clearly a non-Celestial suggestion that wouldn't exclude Barb/Biata from taking part in, and irrational RP shouldn't affect its viability.

No, because I recognize the value in having circle of power items for doing rituals in without risking town wide resources of perm circles and having life spells for your life casters in items. It is tempting though.

Joe Siegel

Draven said:
OrcFighterFTW said:

So every time your barbarian gets a magic armor, he doesn't like it, regardless of source? Race Reaver is earth, and gives the "magic" carrier. Poison Shield as a spell is Earth-only. If your character wants to RP unease with it, that's your call, but this is clearly a non-Celestial suggestion that wouldn't exclude Barb/Biata from taking part in, and irrational RP shouldn't affect its viability.

Draven,

I'm not sure that your post leaves much room for discussion or even presents that you are open to a response. Just a reminder, no one can hear your tone of voice over the internet and you are a complete stranger to many folks who might not appreciate the way you present your argument. Never mind that I agree with your point in general, i take issue with your presentation and would ask that you self edit before posting things that might drive people away from these boards. That's not winning an argument. :) On a last note, as an owner, I appreciate the passion you clearly are putting into this game and would welcome your feedback on any post I ever make just remember to try to be constructive.

I went ahead an rewrote what you wrote, hopefully Peter aka Chokonu, can find some traction, make a counter point, or concede the point entirely but in a positive discussion not a semi constant flame war.

Peter/CHO,

I see your point but it doesn't make complete sense. Are you saying that your character dislikes all protective magics regardless of their source even earth magic? For example, earth based rituals and spells like poison shield and race reavers should be acceptable to most barbarians and biata unless there's a unique IG circumstance. I think anyone could possibly role play this effect as whatever they want without it being game breaking and while some unique character perspectives might make it distasteful to the character i don't think it makes it a bad idea inherently.

Ray/Rune

Sorry for the protracted thread jack. I don't think I would take it as Jehan simply put id prefer not to have a weapon than to give up my spell-toolbox, wand, and spellstores. That said my alt would eat this up in a moment because he has next to nothing.

Paul,
Of the two ways that's written, I don't find either offensive, but of the two, I think that yours is the "more offensive." Heck, I know both of you, so I hear your voices in my head when I read your posts, but even if I didn't, the issue is the same. Both of you are saying "Hey, your post doesn't make any sense." Chances are good that somebody is going to get offended by that. That's one of the problems that we're having on the boards right now; people are getting oversensitive to arguing (not bickering or flaming or whatever other word that I'm sure someone just read into that). We've got to accept that "Your point doesn't make sense and this is why" isn't an attack.

On the OP,
Weapons/Armor indestructible is a bit constraining, too. With "Non-degrading" armor being a thing, Indestructible armor doesn't actually do much any more. Honestly, I'm finding that I'm rocking an indestructible pouch now on most of my guys, mostly because explosive traps suck. Shield or wand would also be a good tradeoff there. Anyways, still wouldn't do it; Utility.

Alright let me try this again.

No, as a player I would not. I like being able to use almost any Magic Item (aside from racial restrictions) and taking that option away would decrease my fun as a player.

To clarify my other post, the spell Magic Blade is a 6th Level Celestial spell. Unless able to identify the weapon's source of this Magic effect (which requires a Celestial circle), the character would need to trust the in-game source of information if that the Magical quality of the weapon is from something else, not this common Celestial spell. A magic delivery appears to be a magic delivery, with no other insight than that at face value, which is why I would think it would need to continue the Celestial role-play perceptions by Barbarians or Biata (especially those who are not well-versed in magic and different rituals). This is why I said even if you told my character it was an Earth-based magic, he would still be cautious of the potential for Celestial magic. From a hard rules standpoint, without an additional effect such as Race Reaver, a Magic Blade is Celestial in nature by default. As Biata and Barbarians are restricted in Celestial Magic and have required roleplay to that end, this should not be any different unless Magic Blade is made into a general spell.

OrcFighterFTW said:
To clarify my other post, the spell Magic Blade is a 6th Level Celestial spell. Unless able to identify the weapon's source of this Magic effect (which requires a Celestial circle), the character would need to trust the in-game source of information if that the Magical quality of the weapon is from something else, not this common Celestial spell. A magic delivery appears to be a magic delivery, with no other insight than that at face value, which is why I would think it would need to continue the Celestial role-play perceptions by Barbarians or Biata (especially those who are not well-versed in magic and different rituals). This is why I said even if you told my character it was an Earth-based magic, he would still be cautious of the potential for Celestial magic. From a hard rules standpoint, without an additional effect such as Race Reaver, a Magic Blade is Celestial in nature by default. As Biata and Barbarians are restricted in Celestial Magic and have required roleplay to that end, this should not be any different unless Magic Blade is made into a general spell.

Dude's got a point.

OrcFighterFTW said:
To clarify my other post, the spell Magic Blade is a 6th Level Celestial spell. (...More about Magic Blade)
The effect in the original post wasn't Magic Blade, it was "Always on Magic Aura on the person." You could argue that it might be an unexpiring Magic Blade, I guess, but you could also argue that it was a flawed Damage Aura. The premise of the thing seems to imply non-standard spirit rituals that work in ways that we don't really have rules for, so I'm not sure that the "It might be Celestial" argument is particularly insightful. At this point, the whole package might be Celestial, Earth, Skills, or Cool Ranch.

That said, if someone were to go for it, you bring up a good point that we would need to make it clear what it was, re: Barbarians/Biata.

Back