To Mr. Marsters

Grimshaw

I'ms sorry fer me involvement, last Fair Saturday's afternoon, in yer run in wif Lord Bluewater. I was simply standing by a teacher and friend. (not sure ifs you knew as you was dying at the time.)

Fur-ver more I apologizes fer me reaction to ya inside the Earth Circle whens I brought you the water. Its was impolite ands rude of me to act as I did, but wif that sword right there ands, well to be honest, I am in awe of your powers ser. Long and short, you was scaring me a bit.

But its not an excuse to be rude especially after you said those noice fings about me.
So I apologizes.

I wants you know, ifs you stands wif and for the good folks of Wayside, then I ser stands wif you.

Yer humble servant
Grimshaw Harvus.

Grimshaw,

First of all - you are no servant of mine. I am not of noble birth. I'm the son of an alcoholic, murderous father, and a mother that was murdered due to his drunken rage, raised by the Earth Guild because I showed an aptitude at a young age. You owe me nothing.

What happened that Saturday almost tore this town in two. I understand your fear - I was afraid to be around the sword as well. It was my duty, though, as a Circle Master of the Greater Earth Guild of Terna, to collect necromantic items and see to their destruction. That is what I did, as the sword was destroyed that evening, as a part of the fight to destroy the DreadLord. There are those that disagree with what I did, and they are entitled to their opinions.

There was talk about an agreement between myself and Lord Bluewater. Two years ago this September, I cast necromancy. I was crazed, out of my mind. I called upon chaos to cause light wounds on a woman, now the Queen of the Leaf Crown. Upon realizing what I had cast, I immediately presented myself to a knight, admitted what I had done, and impaled myself upon my own spear. I did not allow any magic to prevent my resurrection, nor did the knight allow any to heal me - I was to resurrect, as is the punishment, per the law. Per the Earth Guild, I lost rank, as well had a ritual put upon my spirit. If I so much as channel chaos, be it a weapon aura, or try to begin to cast a spell, I would die, as if I took a death spell. This ritual has charges that do not refill, so upon inspection upon my spirit, it's obvious if I had strayed from the path of the Earth. When this was cast upon me, as a part of my probation, I swore to Lord Bluewater that I would not so much as channel chaos. The probation was for a year's time. At this time, I'm not officially subject to the oath, however, as I have no reason to deny it, I allow anyone who would question if I have cast necromancy again, to continue to check my spirit.

I serve the people of Wayside, the people of Fortannis, through my service to the Greater Earth Guild of Terna. I've stood against Reinious Thargatian, a dracolich, and the Corrupt, among others. I always stand with the good folks of Wayside, as I am one of them.

This coming market day - come find me. We can have a cider, and talk about this more.

Eric Marsters
The Brotherhood

Marsters unfortunately sometimes phrases things inexactly so as to give a not precise view of things, I'll clarify a bit here since I'm sure what happened between us is definitely the source of gossip by now.

Marsters came to me and ask me to cast a regenerate he had assembled and provided the components and catalysts for. A regeneration effect is something that is extremely potent and powerful and I warned him ahead of casting it, that if he wished me to intercede with Fortannis so that he would resurrect to the fullness of our world's ability to restore him, I expected, and demanded as partial fee for my services that he swear to serve the interests of Fortannis as long as it gave him this strength. He agreed of course, that very same night he cast Chaos, and while there was mitigation of command effects and him expending a charge of the regeneration I had just applied that very same day, I was incensed that someone I had taken up for would dare to corrupt there very world that breathed new life into him.

We came to an agreement, as I did not wish to destroy the enchantment needlessly due to it's cost. I personally provided the scroll, components and casting of the death effects in case he channeled chaos ever again. This was never meant to be used as a tool to attached a weapon of great chaotic strength to his spirit, as he had already shown his weakness with the previous casting. Now obviously me and Marsters are going to continue to have issues, since he clearly seems to believe from the above that he can attach chaos to his spirit if he believes he has some mitigation to the danger, while I....disagree. To that effect, Knight Foss had permission to carry the blade to solve the problem, Currently Circle Master Marsters did not. This blade was already slated for destruction in the same timeline in the hands of a Squire who has no ability to tap chaos if tempted. The entire reason for the moving of the blade was to cast a control spirit store a mere 6 hours earlier. Now I am aware the immunity of that enchantment was put into place, however we have other safe guards alright in items with times ever dodges, spell parries, and spell shields. So I continue to believe that moving a Spirit Link Chaos Artifact onto a master of earth magics that has already shown weakness was foolhardy compare to waiting half a day.

Marster's Probation from the Earth Guild might be over, but the actions that caused it are still illegal, and as long as he depends on my enchantment to ensure him life, I am unable to ignore his activities as I might another. That said I still have great hope that I can get him to see that caution is essential for a man of his position, especially as that authority grows, he must learn not to put himself in undue peril.

-Lord Barrister, Enan Bluewater

I am trying to understand the situation here. I would like to ask a few questions to clear my head on the situation.

Marsters used chaos over a year ago. You put an enchantment on him. This enchantment would kill him if he used chaos again. He used this enchantment to help the town with a situation involving a dangerous sword. What exactly is the problem with this at the moment? That you disagree with his method?

Here is what I do know. The Duchess entrusted Sir Foss with the sword. He willingly gave the sword to Marsters. You personally decided to take actions into your own hands from that point on. On what authority did you act on?

If you disagree with what was done you should have gone to the Magistrate. No charges were brought down from anyone. You attacked him, and then dragged him into your own personal circle of power. If what you were doing was legal and justified then why hide in a circle? What right did you have?

Why do you talk about this enchantment on Marsters as if you own it? To rip it from him when you see fit, or if you deem him unworthy. He is not one of your indentured servants. You do not own him or any part of him. If the extreme cost is what worries you then contact me and perhaps I can buy his servitude from you so I can set him free.

I hope this situation is being investigated by the Magistrate.

As quoted by Enan Bluewater, "I will say this, it is important to understand the difference between unity, and anarchy. In unity we all work together, in anarchy people do what ever they wish and expect all others to accept it without question."

Where do you fit in Enan?

Kael
For the Brotherhood......

Last edited:
For the Brotherhood...

Arsita

Last edited:
For the Brotherhood...

Eric Marsters

I will be happy to answer you Kael,

Marsters agreed he would not court Chaos in any form again, the enchantment which I wove was to help him in the situation should he be tempted or lose himself again, not as a tool to court that which he had already touched. While I understand the logic of that line of thinking it was outside of agreements formed. My problem is he violated both the spirit and the wording of our agreement. I was to understand after talking to Vexx and others that I should be able to trust the brotherhood at their word, is this not so? I have agreed with Eric in the past that taking items of a Chaotic nature to be destroyed does fall within his realm of purview, but this is much, much less dangerous than tying an artifact with unknown properties to your spirit. Especially when that artifact is forged specifically to be usable only by casters of chaos.

The Duchess entrusted Foss to carry and dispose of the sword, she did not endow him with the right to transfer it. As a lord is it well within my authority to act when someone is in possession of an illegal item of Chaos. Ideally in the future, if he is not directly involved in the matter, I believe I will be able to trust Ser Foss to help me deal with similar issues in the future. I will say my reaction was over aggressive and I am thankful to Jehan and others who are aware of my occasional need to reminded of certain things and ultimately call the magistrate.

Circles are routinely used to prevent interference. Marster's crime was confirmed by the Magistrate and was, by his grace, largely rolled into the punishment Vexx took on the behalf of the brotherhood. This does not invalidate nor absolve him of his actions.

Marsters was made very clearly aware of my expectations at the time of the casting. Interceding with Fortannis is not something I do lightly. Marster's spirit, in a very real way, is guarded by my own, the bond he willingly entered into at the time of casting. It is my personally duty to ensure it is not misused for as long as it exists and no amount of coin can buy the actions of my spirit, although like my servants I have often sold my work and actions for coin. Unfortunately your assertion is incorrect, as long as Marster's holds me to my enchantment by allowing it to continue, I do in fact own certain rights in regards to his behavior by his own agreement.

The situation was already investigated by the magistrate the same day, and he found my actions to be justified and within the law, if you choose to disagree with his ruling that is your business.

I will say, again and perhaps a bit more explicitly, that my goal moving forward is to work with Eric, but in doing so I insist on a clear understanding of the facts, which include the time of the casting, the use of the necromancy, and the agreements enter in at all points. This is what drove me to respond, I will not allow an incorrect assertion of the happenings.

As to my previous statement, I hold myself true to them, I am willing to discuss and explain my actions and have them reviewed by all legal authorities. However I will not let concern for being misunderstood sway me from doing what is required of all my positions, be it Lord, Ritual Caster, or others.

-Lord Barrister Enan Bluewater.

Lord Bluewater,

As you want to clear misconceptions, lets do that.

First of all, you're right. You do have the ability to strike down those who do not have the legal authority to possess necromantic items. As a Circle Master of the Greater Earth Guild of Terna, a guild recognized by His Majesty, Kaarl Grimlock, as well as every ruling power before him, it is my legal responsibility to handle necromantic items, and see to their destruction. Therefore, your argument on this point, is null.

Second, there was no investigation that day. The investigation was into the actions of Gnot and Don't, and the treason of their actions. Had there been an investigation, someone would have told High Magistrate Oliver Stillroot that I was in the Earth Circle, at the request of Jehan Wyldweaver. When High Magistrate Stillroot finally found me in the Earth Circle, immediately before Vexx's execution, he informed me that he had been looking for me, and no one told him I was there. Had there been an investigation, I would have been questioned, and I would have been taken to the Celestial Guild for inspection. None of this happened.

Now, Lord Bluewater, you claim to "own rights to me". I'm sorry, but that simply isn't even legal. You may feel that way, however, slavery is illegal. As I stated before, as a part of my probation, I swore to not channel chaos. I swore to not cast chaos. You were on the verge of becoming a werebear when you cast the ritual to guarantee that oath, and went on quite a bit after I swore what I did. I focused on what I swore to, and the guilt I felt for having cast chaos before. If you said something further - I did not swear to it. What I swore to should be on record with the Earth Guild, as it was a part of my probation, which has ended for five months now. I've welcomed anyone to verify that I have continued to not stray, and will continue to allow for identification for any that ask.

You say that you were overly aggressive. I say you committed assault upon an unarmed man. I hadn't even put my robes on before you lured me outside to attempt to remove my presence permanently from Fortannis, and threatened to do so publicly. When it comes to ritual assault - ultimately, it's your word against mine, unless the Earth Guild records can provide light on the matter, so I won't pursue the matter.

I welcome Ser Foss Siril to investigate the matter of assault, and show that when people take illegal action, that justice occurs. That was your wish, Lord Bluewater, when you towered over me in your circle. The largest problem is just - I did nothing illegal, and you did. What I did was not my finest hour, but it was not my worst, and looking back, my actions may have differed. However, they did not break the law.

Eric Marsters
The Brotherhood

Eric,

It is a shame you have decided to see things in this light, I fear until such a time you can understand my concerns you will no longer have my support. I wish you well in your search for what you consider to be Justice. To the rest of the Brotherhood, I have explained my intentions and view on this matter and will leave it at that. I will not bother to argue points of law with you, other to say that you are incorrect in your understanding, although if you wish to point out the law which allows for the linking of Chaos to your spirit voluntarily, I will be most interested in petitioning the King for it's removal.

Should any of you change your point of view, or wish to discuss this further in a polite setting, please let me know and I will endeavor to find time for such a discussion.

-Lord Barrister, Enan Bluewater

Gentle-folk,

It seems I've poked an already agitated 'ornets nest in an attempt to clears me conscious.
I's hoping with the Magistrate's ruling an' the subsequent and upsetting execution of the hero Vexx that this argument was behind us.
It now appears to my simple mind that it is not. May I propose a peaceful meeting of recompense at the Flaming Skull next Faire, I'm buying.
I would like to see this come to some amiable conclusion as I wish to be able to lend me blades to either gentleman wif out fear of alienating the ovther.
and if not for me piece of mind then for whole of Wayside.

Humbly yours
Grimshaw Harvus.

Dear Grimshaw,

Lending your sword to either side to help Wayside Will never be punished. In the end protecting the people are more important then feuds. I appreciate your offer of mediation, and shall be at the Flamming Skull regardless. Good day to you, and may your journey lead you to a cup up mead with friends at your side.

Kael

Clearly, tempers flared as you choose sides in a matter of law between two men. Adventurers seem to believe in vigilante justice and violent unlawful acts, as their power and self-importance leads to inflated egos. You must all take a breath and consider the situation. Harvus Grimshaw, you have the correct ideology here. But since no one is willing to allow this to pass, it must be addressed once more.

The matter at hand: Circle Master Eric Marsters, a convicted Necromancer, took up a Necromantic artifact willingly which he knew was required for an endeavor of importance to the kingdom and thus could not be destroyed. Lord Enan Bluewater then disabled him, first aided him, and ritually assaulted him. From all reports this is the core of the altercation.

The facts:
- It is well within both a Lord's or Circle Master's purview by right of law to confiscate Necromantic items and then bring them in to the Earth Guild for destruction, or in rare cases study and storage in the case of items too powerful to be destroyed.
- Verbal contract which was known by many people existed between the Circle Master and Lord Bluewater. The details of the contract seem to differ with each person, and thus is essentially a point of hearsay. But a contract did exist and Lord Bluewater was the caster of the Regeneration ritual on the Circle Master, and is on record with the Earth Guild as taking a personal interest in the Circle Master's rehabilitation from Necromancy. He is quoted as saying he would "rip it from him" by at least 3 people, which is in keeping with what Lord Bluewater has said the contract is. Thus, the contract is valid; however, this brings up the fact that you should always enter into written contracts. The rule of law is so much cleaner when applied to forms filed in triplicate.
- A special dispensation was issued to then-Squire Foss Siril by the Duchess Fairfax to wield the artifact in question until such time as it would be destroyed in the destruction of the Dreadlord. This dispensation may have been offered to the Circle Master, but the altercation happened before any messenger could be sent.

The complexities:
- The Circle Master belongs to The Brotherhood, a guild known to have committed high treason for which the guildmaster was punished at the last market.
- The Circle Master took up a Necromantic item knowing it could not be turned in for destruction from someone who had been given dispensation to hold onto it for, in Lord Bluewater's words, a mere 6 more hours.

The clarity:
- The Circle Master was forced to execute Vexx for two reasons. One, it was part of the punishment meted out to the Brotherhood, as having the execution performed by a guild member holds much more weight on the psyche of those involved. Two, the Circle Master was chosen instead of another guild member in order to give him pause, as although he did not cast Necromancy he did break the letter of the law by not requesting permission before transferring the item in question onto himself, which he knew could not be turned in to the Earth Guild as it was required for a task at hand. Had the events not unfolded as they did, he may well have been granted dispensation to carry the blade for the few remaining hours and thus no crime even to the letter of the law would have existed. There is no doubt that the Circle Master was attempting to protect others from necromantic influences with his actions and that in a fashion was commendable.

The End Result:
- The ritual assault on the Circle Master is not a crime, as an existing contract existed that mitigated it.
- The assault on the Circle Master that preceded the ritual assault was, however, a crime. So as to keep to the law, Lord Bluewater should have requested that the Circle Master comply with the contract and when/if he refused, then members of the local law establishment should have been involved, or at the very least the Earth Guild since both men are ranked members of note.
- Lord Bluewater's zeal against Necromancy is commendable but seems to often place him in conflict with other adventurers especially. It cannot be allowed to continue; however, the curse of lycanthropy is not one easily removed.

The Judgement:
- Lord Enan Bluewater, you are to publicly apologize to Circle Master Eric Marsters for beating him down publicly, and denying him the chance to attempt to gain permission from the Earth Guild and Duchess Fairfax to bear the Necromantic item. You then are to bite the Circle Master and spread the curse, as it is hoped that two things will occur. One, that the Circle Master may walk a mile in your shoes and thus gain a new understanding of you and the threat of necromancy. Two, that by spreading the curse, its sway over Lord Bluewater will weaken, allowing him to think more clearly; and thus together they may keep themselves in check to work towards the greater good.
- The two of you must then speak with the Were-bear tribes to calm yourselves and center yourselves. Your behaviors on this will determine if Lycanthropy needs to be outlawed nation-wide or not.
- Lastly both of you will sit down to a mediation by Harvus Grimshaw and Avacyn Rose to work out the rest of your differences and to help put all the interpersonal drama of the adventurers to bed. I then expect both of you to work together towards resolving any adventurer disputes, as frankly the adventuring community needs to come together and be at peace with it self if it is to continue in service to this nation.

High Magistrate Oliver Stillroot

Eric,
When this sentence is carried out, I will spend your first full moon with you. For were creatures it is the most dangerous time, any weakening of your spirit happens 3 fold. I do not wish to see you suffer that fate. Much of my family bares the gift of Lycanthropy, it is only a curse to those who don't embrace it. Soon Fortanis will act against it's enemies through you.

Let me help you embrace the history of the werebears.
I will teach you about a rich culture that traces it lineage all the way back to the first silver dragons.
I've learned much from Zane, allow me to share that knowledge with you.

Link
Order of the Emerald Flame

High Magistrate,

I will be there to speak with Cyn and Grimshaw. With your permission, I also ask Aramis Seablade to be there, if he is willing, as he also offered to mediate, and having three people there, with such different backgrounds, can only help us in understanding different perspectives on the matters at hand. Do you want this to be just the two of us, plus the mediators, or do you wish this to be public?

Link,

I welcome your wisdom on this, and your protection for that first full moon.

Circle Master Eric Marsters
Circle Master of Fairfax
Greater Earth Guild of Terna

Open to the public is fine, and Aramis aiding is also fine. But I wish to see Avacyn and Grimshaw take lead in things. I trust this meeting will take place as I doubt any magistrates will have time to attend the market gather.

High Magistrate Oliver Stillroot

Wait what?

Lord Bluewater is inflicted with lycanthropy?
oh Grimshaw, what have you stuck your nose into?
Oll rite.
I am more then 'appy to assist in anyway I can. After all Miss Cyn made mention of food? I'll bring a bottle.
Cyn's day camp then?

Grimshaw

Circle Master,
I am will assit in this matter. I need only know the time and place.

High Magistrate,
I will do as instructed and let the others take the lead and I will support them to the best pf my ability.
~Captain Aramis Seablade

Fear not little ones, for a time will come soon enough where all this will not matter. Brothers will not fight brothers, sisters will not fight sisters. Such pain, such conflict should not exist in a world destined for peace. Of course, such a peaceful existence can occur much faster if only the remaining 7 fiends were presented.

Libara, Basil Monteque, the Medusa
Caprika, Lysial Stormbringer, the Harpy
Gemini, San'al the Lunari Elf
Aquari, Aquari Willowroot the Dryad
Scorpio, Hiram Stingbane the Wylderkin
Ari, Ari Ramstein the Wylderkin

Leon, Leo Bloodfang the Manticore

I have experienced your fears, your terrors, your hopes and you dreams for eons, and I promise Bliss shall remedy all strife soon enough.....

- The voices of a hundred children, speaking calmly into the dreaming

Back