The Journey from Gaden!

Elemir

Hey there!

My name is Andrew. Formerly of the Minnesota chapter, Gaden, and re-locating to Portland for work.

I've spoken a bit with leadership via email about how logistics will work and card transfers, but I'm very interested in not wasting their time too much and hearing from the rest of the Oregon Alliance community. If you would be so kind, I have a few questions- and feel free to try and drag me IC into something, too!

1. I've seen some pictures of you guys using latex swords. Are these accepted in this chapter? Sorry if I was missing something obvious.
2. Where could I find a brief (or not, whatever!) rundown of the setting of your chapter?

Anything else I should know? Thanks!

Hi Andrew!

1.) Latex swords are accepted on a case by case basis in the chapter, as long as it passes marshal safety inspection.
2.) You're kind of in luck, kind of, the campaign closer is 05/02/14 - 05/04/14, and after that the setting is going to change. The only rough part of that is waiting for the new campaign opener in September. None of us know that setting yet, so if you start PCing that September event it'll be just as new to everybody else as to you. >:)

As far as marshaling is concerned, each weapon is checked each game. In fact, it's a policy for Alliance Seattle and Oregon that every weapon and shield is checked and cleared prior to you checking in to Logistics, to ensure safety. We don't really have special policies for latex weapons, and a lot of players use them.

One thing of note, immersion and RP are extremely important in the NW. We have had traveling players state that as our big difference from other games. It's how we stay competitive with other area games.

Evi1r0n, that's actually really good to hear. Do you guys generally have campsites? Around Minnesota we've been known to get sites with actual buildings built in, and even a castle once or twice.
MaxIrons, thanks for the heads up! Sounds like I'll be coming at the right time, then. I've never ended a campaign/been around for the start of one. I'd imagine the setting is just something that the characters happen to stumble into together?
Thanks for the replies, everybody :)

Alliance Oregon generally uses two different sites, both have cabins instead of tent camping. They also both have the local "tavern" which is an eating hall. The season opener setting hasn't been nailed down, and if you wish to be local for the season closer I'd recommend sending a message to plot@allianceoregon.com ASAP to work out who you are, and where you've been. Now this is my personal opinion and if you've got your heart set on PCing, by all means do it. With that said, I'd recommend NPCing this event, and then starting your PC on the Campaign opener in September. It's what I'm doing as my PC permed at the last event.

Again, it's completely up to you, that's just my recommendation.

I would, personally, recommend PCing. Series closer are often epic events and drop the seeds and the why of the next campaign. My first game in OR was a series closer, I traveled from Seattle for it. Now I am a regular player. Though Ben and I differ on this one, you'll probably have a good time either way.

As Ben said, we use sites with all the amenities. I have personally never played a tent event in the NW and I play 4 area games (2 non-Alliance). There is no heat, mattresses, or electricity in the cabins. Bring padding to sleep on or you will be sad. There is electricity in the tavern and in the bathrooms, which have working showers. The next game is tentatively at our other site, Brookes Memorial State Park ELC. That site has heat, electricity (but no normal outlets), and mattresses that are pretty cozy in all the cabins.

My first Alliance event was also a season closer for Seattle in Feb 2011. I got chewed up by a dragon.

I love this game.

At least you're not dead.

Dude, you made all the ladies cry. Don't act like you aren't proud.

;)

One thing I'll agree on with Ron is that you'll have a good time either way. If you do PC, be prepared to step into all the feels, specifically all the sad. The above posts may show why. ;)

Ooh lala. It reminds me of my favorite site in Minnesota, where we had a tavern. Much mischief was to be had. The rogues were swindling, the gypsies were playing music and there was a lot of intoxication. I guess my alchemy didn't do anybody favors.
I'll actually be arriving that weekend, so sadly I won't make it. Have fun though, guys!

Back