Regarding Tents

Circe

Artisan
Hello everyone! I would like to address a small problem we've been noticing at Faire Play in regards to players' sleeping tents and their locations. We would like to remind everybody that while it's still acceptable to bring a tent to sleep in, it is not acceptable to erect those tents close to town.

The designated locations for players to put their tents are at the edges of either fields; tents on the tavern-side field should be closest to the pond, whereas tents on the parking lot-side field should be closest to the parking lot or to the treeline. This is to promote safety during combat and for player immersion. Non-pavilion tents may not be set up next to cabins. They are an anachronistic eyesore as well as a huge safety risk. If we believe your tent to be too close to town, we will ask you to move it as soon as possible.

In regards to NPCs, tents may no longer be raised in NPC camp. There is no longer enough room for people to put up tents without creating a cramped and potentially hazardous space. If there is not enough room in the NPC bunk room, sleeping bags and air mattresses may be used on the floor of the camp. If NPCs wish to sleep in tents, they are required to sleep outside in the aforementioned acceptable locations.

Thank you for your time and I apologize for any inconvenience.

Quick thing -- can I ask that when tents are up that people not hit or drag weapons across the tents? And also, if a tent is tethered that people try to avoid combat/walking in the region of the tethers as much as possible?

Not to be a nag, but it seems like a safety issue to walk through the tethers, and I'd really prefer my tent not come down/break because someone decided to let me know they were out there by hitting my tent with a weapon... :)

You make a very good point, Kelly!

Tents are strictly out of game areas. If anyone, PCs or NPCs, are touching or hitting your tent, please report this to a marshal or staff right away so we can take care of it immediately. Thank you!

i always thought of my tent ig , which is why i have a ward.

I also ward my tent, and it is an IG area... I'm cool with us having special combat rules for tents though... like if a monster comes in somehow you have to take the fight outside but IG it's inside?

I mostly just don't want people tripping and getting hurt on my tethers or hitting the tent too hard and breaking a pole. I don't mind being told by a marshall that our tent has been infiltrated (if it's wardless or it gets DM'd or whatever) - I'd just rather it be played where my actual property doesn't get damaged, is all.

After some discussion with other staff members, we've decided to revise our tent policy as such:

Players may erect camping tents at their convenience at the Faire Play site. However, players who wish to keep their tents in-game (i.e., store their in-game belongings inside) must raise their tents on the tavern-side field closest to the pond, away from the town. Players who wish to keep their tents out-of-game (i.e., aren't storing their in-game belongings inside) must raise their tents on the parking lot-side field closest to the treeline, away from the bridge. This is for the sake of safety, immersion, and consideration of personal property.

NPCs may raise tents only in the designated out-of-game area on the parking lot-side field. Tents may no longer be raised in NPC camp due to space constraints.

Any further questions or concerns may be addressed to me at ashburygm@gmail.com.

Thank you!

Reactions: Vox
Not sure how much this counts for anything, but I wanted to convey my appreciation to the staff. We're all really good friends. We play this game and we chum around, but there is definitely a line where you are in fact in charge of things. You spend all of the time writing/running the game and you sometimes have to make the hard calls such as this one. Hell, if I could get away with putting my tent in the corner of the tavern, I would. It sucks to have to go so far to get to where things are going on and to where my stuff is.

My point comes from you guys recognizing a problem and immediately announcing the decision. What me and, I'm sure, others appreciate the most is that you opened this board. You allowed discussion. You 'heard the people' and adjusted to meet the needs of Faire Play and the players. I know 100% of people can't be pleased 100% of the time, but damn if it doesn't make my happy to know that you're people and that you're willing to listen.

Thanks guys. I love what you do and I appreciate the time you put in.
Alex

Back