Newbie here

Ok, I'm not used to being the new person on the block anymore but I was interested enough in the idea of this game that I figured I'd be one again. Hello out there to all you peoples, I have absolutely no experience LARPing, I've never even tried out Vampire The Masquerade or any Live Action Role Playing. Now what started me looking at the site was something that I might, in the future, be doing with my son. He's only six at the moment and I know that he's not allowed to play at all but like I said there's always the future. Ok ok, I'll admit it simply looked like fun as well. Now that all said I was wondering how many people usually show up at the weekend events or even the one day events and how many people are members. I ask because I'm kinda hoping for a big group :) If you haven't noticed by now I tend to ramble just a little sometimes but i promise I'm a good guy. Now I know I need to buy the rulebook and all but is there anything else I need in order to join? Would I be able to visit an event and see how everything goes and whether I would fit in? Thanks for the time guys :)

First of all, welcome. I can't answer everything because I've only been to one Seattle event, and I'm no good with estimating numbers besides, but I'll do what I can.

As far as visiting to see if you'd fit in, as a recent newbie myself, I'd recommend just jumping in. There's no better way to see than from the inside, and if you can swing a weekend-long event, they're where it's at. The staff is friendly, and the veteran players are usually willing to help with any confusion. If you don't want to commit the costuming, prepwork, and finances to be a PC, they're always happy to have NPCs, where all you need to bring is yourself and a couple changes of black clothes.

As for your son, he has a couple years to go, but the rules for pages can be found here (thanks Jesse). I know of one father-son team that currently plays in Seattle and Oregon chapters, so that's definitely an option when he is a little older.

If you want instant electronic gratification, I would recommend going the e-book route as far as getting into the rules. Otherwise, there are people that can give you a crash course if you show up to NPC.

Yeah, I use my son as an excuse to get into the game ;) I guess I'm gonna have to jump right in then. I'll have to get the rulebook then. I'll take a look at the schedule for the next weekend event and more then likely I'll show up to play an NPC for my first run, I'd hate to show up and violate the rules my first time out as a PC LoL

Dont worry about it. If you make a mistake nobody is going to tear your head off about it. As was already stated, we will help you with any questions you have and the basics if you need that as well.

Renner

Howdy!
You look like you're on the right track for getting started. Weekend games are really when the game is at its best. We are trying to get some day games going soon, but they're not really a fair representation of what the game is all about (they're like the 30 minute made-for-TV version of what should be a feature-length summer blockbuster movie).

NPCing is a great way to learn all the rules and get to know a lot of people Out of Game before rushing right in with a character when you don't know the rules, people, world, or other characters. It will also help you get an idea of the type of character you'd have fun playing and how some of the politics of the people and the world work around you. (It's also much cheaper, and we feed you!)

Someone already set you up with the link to the PDF version of the book. It's exactly the same as the regular book as far as content goes. I like having the ebook so I can search it easier, but I've also got a hardcopy so I have the rules on site. You're not required to have either, but having one or the other definately makes it easier to learn the rules and get an idea of what you're getting into.

Our day games run between 4-12 players and go for 2-6 hours. Our weekend games run 20-50 players and go from Friday night to Sunday morning. We regularly get players from the Oregon and San Fran chapters, but we occationally get groups of players from much, much farther away (Chicago, Michigan, etc. about once a year).

Unfortunately we aren't the kind of group that lends itself very well to spectators. Generally having to pretend that someone isn't there when they are ruins the atmosphere and could spoil good roleplaying moments for our members. The best thing to do is to jump right in! You'll be surprised how easy it is to get involved and how helpful everyone will be with the rules and processes we go through.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
~Matt,
General Manager, Alliance Seattle

Hey no problem I can jump in with both feet, as long as you guys promise not to bite LoL. If the schedule I saw is accurate then I may not make it to the next weekend event (sons B-day is Oct. 30th) but I would be at the one after that. I'd be more then happy to play as an NPC to start, it sounds like a great idea. I'll be getting the rule book soon (gotta wait for payday you know) and I'll start there. Thanks for all the info.

Oh out of curiosity I've searched the web for alot of really nice boffer type LARP approved weapons and what not but I was wondering if the NERF N-Strike swords were approved and safe for an event?

The short answer is no, and Matt could probably explain better why. Most people make their own weapons, and the rule book will give you the requirements and some instructions for that. When you come to NPC, you'll see (and use) the type of weapons we play with.

No problem, guess I'm just a little eager. I see all the wonderful things I can get and ways I can set up a costume and I'm chompin at the bit. I know I know I need to slow down a bit ;)

So, the weapon requirements are really strict, and because we play a nation-wide game with common rules and policies, we don't have any leeway on whether or not to uphold any particular standards. Basically, Nerf weapons (swords, darts, pretty much any items) don't meet the safety requirements. Sure, they may be perfectly "safe," but that means something different to everybody, so it's been standardized for this game. (Honestly, those nerf swords look much safer then our weapons, but as far as the polices we have to follow, it doesn't matter, they're not legal.)

The average person's weapon looks something like this. (That's not mine, I google searched some old Nero pictures (you just can't look for 'alliance boffer weapons' and not get WoW stuff).) Now, that said, I build a lot of custom weapons, which look much better, are much lighter (but are also more expensive.) You can make a basic weapon by following the instructions in the rulebook for about $5. That said, almost everyone's first weapon fails the safety check, but for most people it's not terribly difficult to fix the weapon so that it's up to code. If you're NPCing you'll have weapons supplied for you, so you can get an idea of what you're dealing with before trying to invest the money/time/effort.

On the 'event date' front, I'm trying to move the date back a weekend, but I'm having a hard time getting in touch with our site contacts. NOBODY COUNT ON IT YET! I'm trying, I'll let you all know if it moves.

Also, Alliance Oregon has an event scheduled October 9-11th if you're looking to get involved sooner. I encourage you (and everyone else!) to go to that game, it should be pretty exciting.

~Matt

obcidian said:
Also, Alliance Oregon has an event scheduled October 9-11th if you're looking to get involved sooner. I encourage you (and everyone else!) to go to that game, it should be pretty exciting.

All the cool people are doing it.

At this time we do not allow flat blades. There are numerous safety issues brought the last time we tried them out.

That said, I am willing to defer to my head of rules as to whether he would like to try a sample test.

Back