New Player Playing for First Time This Weekend

Jeridon

Hi, folks. :) I'll be coming to the event this weekend and am stoked to try LARPing for the first time. Is there any advice or stories you guys and gals have to help introduce me to the experience?

Bring at least 3 pairs of socks per day!

Yes, always bring socks. More than you ever thought you needed.

You can always come find me and I'll guide you through the process. My name is Rick and I'm the New Player Representative for Alliance Oregon. You can ask for Rick" or "Durnic" and people will know who you're talking about.

Thanks for the offer, Durnic, and I will certainly take you up on any advice you can give me. Oh, and trust me, I've packed a fair share of socks for the expedition. :)

It's not always possible, but be there for opening if you can. There is a lot of important information that goes out. Also, go to the new player orientation for rules. I suggest going to them for the first few games if you don't feel comfortable with the rules. They can be helpful.

On top of lots of socks, GOOD BOOTS! You want ones that are comfortable, warm, waterproof and sturdy. You do everything on your feet except sleep and sit. Make sure to take care of them.

Also, Pre-reg if you haven't already. It is helpful for us to know you are coming and have your character set up! :)

He's riding with me he will be there for opening.

All of us have been new before, don't be afraid to ask about an effect or damage call. Even people that play jerky characters are nice on an OOG level :) Stay hydrated, bring snacks! Talk to people, go on adventures, and just have fun. :) Also this site is cold, bring blankets!

Make sure you sign up for an npc sleeping bunk! and welcome, it will be great to have another NPC around.

Looks like I am a liar! I will not be arriving until Saturday morning due to prior obligations. However, the game is full of people who would be happy to help you find where you're going. Tell someone you're a new NPC and they should direct you towards Monster Camp. That person is likely to be Jeremy but he is also easily distracted by small shiny objects.

I look forward to meeting you.

Hey there!

I'm Evan Rawson, an NPC Guildie and New Player Rep for the sister chapter of Oregon, Alliance Seattle!

I probably won't be on site until about 7:30 - 8 PM Friday night, but if nobody else helps you out, I'll run you through some basics. :) Other Guildies might take care of you first, but we'll get you squared away, one way or another.

Welcome to our game!

Hi! I'm Ben. I'm just some guy who plays in Oregon and likes helping people. I'll be on site earlyish. Just look for the hefty guy with mad mutton chops and I'll help you out however I can.

Thanks for all of the support, folks. :) I'll make sure to ask around if I have any questions. Speaking of which, where can I sign up for the NPC sleeping bunks? I'll be bringing plenty of blankets and a pillow, so I should be good. I'm sorta used to sleeping on relatively hard surfaces, so that won't bother me too much, either.

Well then Camp Kiwanilong is going to be great for you, because even the bunks are relatively hard surfaces. :D

PS, bring a sleeping pad. Or two.

Thanks for all of the help, folks. The experience has been gained and it was intimidating, but fun. I look forward to trying it again soon. :)
I was wondering, though. Now that the event is over, what do I do? I hear there is game experience I can get for NPCing, and I donated a few props to the group while I was there(a few masks) and was told I could get gobbies for that. I'm left unsure as to how to proceed from here, so I now ask for your help with the next phase of the LARPing experience; the aftermath leading up to my next attempt.​

For that, you will need to get in touch with logistics via email over at logistics@allianceoregon.com and ask them what your goblin point status is. @norman b will give you the help you need!

Please email the address Rick gave above. Please also email that address and plot@allianceoregon.com requesting goblin stamps for the masks you donated along with a description of the mask. Any donation needs to include an email only because sometimes with the stress of a weekend, plot can forget a donation was given and a little reminder is needed.

Thanks again for NPCing.

Please also email that address and plot@allianceoregon.com requesting goblin stamps for the masks you donated along with a description of the mask.

Along with the above information, please include the following information:

A brief description of the mask(s) or other props you donated.
An exact number of masks you donated.

Also:
If they were pre-made masks, please include the approximate retail value of the masks; if you can include a scan of the receipt that would be great.

If you made the masks, please include the approximate cost of the raw materials, along with the approximate amount of time (rounded to the nearest 15 minutes) that you spent making the masks.

Any donation needs to include an email only because sometimes with the stress of a weekend, plot can forget a donation was given and a little reminder is needed.

Thanks again for NPCing.

Any donation needs to include an email no matter what. We won't remember a donation you gave to us at an event without an email (see below).

In the future, please email the plot team (plot@allianceoregon.com) first before beginning any donation work, or buying items that you want to donate; while we often need donations, if you happen to pick one that we don't need, it will be rejected and you will be out time/money, and possibly left with a not-so-good experience (which we want to avoid).

Thanks!

-Adam
Head of Plot

Back