Make your own leather mask 3.14.15

Tandy leather in Beaverton is having a mask making class this Saturday the 14th from 10-4. I'm not posting the link if your serious you go find it and join me there these people work hard so I'm not handing it out sorry. The class is posted as free but I think there might be a material fee. I've not been to this store but have taken a couple classes at the Portland store and they are very good plus for that day you get a discount on items!

Beaverton, OR Leathercraft Classes

Mask Making Class 3/14 : 10 am – 4 pm
Join Keith in preparing your festival attire for the upcoming Renaissance Fair or Vampire Masquerade Ball by learning the elusive art of mask making. Learn how to make a template and the various techniques to form and harden leather to your own face with fantastical designs and whimsical colors for a truly personalized magical mask. It is recommended to bring tools if you have them, if not some will be provided for the class to share. This is a free class.

Wallet Making Class Part 1 3/21 : 10 am – 4 pm
The first part of this three segment class will cover the characteristics of a working wallet and how to tool in image into the front using the Top Notch wallet kit as an example. Join your instructor Luke who will cover some basic tooling techniques so you can carve a pattern into the front of your wallet, or bring a photocopy of your own image that you would like to carve into your wallet. It is recommended to bring tools if you have them, if not some will be provided for the class to share. This is a free class.

Wallet Making Class Part 2 3/28 : 10 am – 4 pm
In part two of the wallet making class, Luke is going to cover the chemical and liquid process surrounding making your wallet. Dyes, stains, antiquing, finish, edge dressing, conditioners, and paints will be explained and at your disposal to decorate your carved wallet from the prior week. Only limited colors are available through the class so if you have a specific color(s) you would like to use they will be available for purchase at a discounted price for students only. It is recommended to bring tools if you have them, if not some will be provided for the class to share. This is a free class.

Wallet Making Class Part 3 4/04 : 10 am – 4 pm
The final installment of this class will be the last stage of wallet assembly where we will cover lacing and stitching techniques where Luke will cover three decorative lacing styles and four stitching styles. Basic buck stitching techniques will be covered in the lacing segment but limited colors of lace and thread will be available through the class so if you have a specific color(s) of thread or lace you would like to use, they will be available for purchase at a discounted price for students only. It is recommended to bring tools if you have them, if not some will be provided for the class to share. This is a free class.

!!CALL TO ARTISTS!!
Do you have experience in a leather related art or craft and would like to teach a class at our store? We are looking for experienced artists and professionals who would like to share and their expertise and knowledge of the diverse art of leather craft. Leather burning, carving, painting, case building, pattern making, mask making, stitching, you name it! Teach the project and medium of your choice in our Beaverton store where we are willing to offer you a space to teach, advertising, scheduling, and support absolutely free of charge! If interested or if you know someone who would be, contact Luke at our Beaverton store location for more information (503) 605-0165. One day only, preferably Saturdays.

Please contact the store for additional information:
Beaverton177@tandyleather.com
Phone: 503-605-0165
Toll Free: 844-347-9187
10195 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy
Beaverton, OR 97005

Thank you, Sean, for posting the information!

IMG_20150315_164652.jpg I have no skill as you can tell from the picture but once this is painted and put together it should look good enough. Lots of people did smaller masks and had the time to get some incredible detail. I actually did have time to do the finish work but wasn't sure of what color to go with and left it bare for now. Total cost was gas money and lunch Tandy covered all the materials so cheap entertainment and a nice take home! I didn't get the picture of a super nice green man/Dryad mask a woman there freehanded but it was most excellent. When this class comes back around be sure to check it out.

It's a squid-kin mask!

Back