Favorites from 9/21 The Maelstrom

Shin

Artisan
Hey all! Post your favorites and event thoughts here!

I'll take a crack at this first!

--------------

So to start this all off, I am supremely thankful that one of our awesome plot members Bobby is safe and is in good hands now. He and by proxy we and the chapter took a savage blow due to an unforeseeable and hurtful act. It was in the morning hours heart racing, panic inducing and almost unbelievable. I know I felt that the game was seconds away from not running at all.

And yet: it did.

What's more is, people came together to make it happen. People let out spare weapons, Other LARP groups showed up - and used their own Monster camps to supply and help ours. That was huge. It was phenomenal and something that awed and stunned me into silence.

So first and foremost a huge shout and round of applause to the RoC East bay Team, Players. To the Owners of Realms of Conflict for their time their help and generosity. To the players and staff of Alliance SF for sticking to it and making it work when the deck was stacked against us from the moment we woke up.

And finally thank you all and for the luck that we're all healthy and well here and now.

So with that all said, what an event...!

Had an amazing time introducing and roleplaying with our new players. Great to see you guys come out and roll with us!

And great to see all the old faces too, some folks I hadn't seen in years back at LARP. Old and new was a great start to a great day.

Entering game for the first time via resurrection: Good times indeed.
Akemi Resurrection stories: The best

Lady Luck's really great idea - Somewhat passable execution.
Distractions? Just be really loud and kill lots of ****. Usually, plan 'get em' works 100% of the time, 60% of the time.

Plot driven/directed Character growth: Just add Murder!
I really had a HUGE amount of fun on the small team infiltration mod. It was an intense scene for the characters, full of panic, doubt, self loathing and that sense of impending doom. Seriously great surprise there at the end. I think, thematically, it was perfect that it was the LAST guy I had to kill my way through to get the damn Breath! The Director approves. That shot goes to print.

All the fights were typical of Maelstrom. Intense, grueling and uphill, both ways! No, really those fights are hard and make you think and fight smart, but they are so much more fun that way. The stakes are high but the rewards match the effort put forth.

Experimenting with the Essence Forge. Ears bleeding, bleeding everywhere. Such magic. Some revelations, the most simple ones in fact, are often the most rewarding. I thought this was brilliant and eye opening. I love this stuff.

Giving the new face in the crowd the shiny sword of slaying and letting the new players have some fun stomping the bad guys for a while!

Surprise trip to the Corn Field! Whops! Sorry Joe, totally didn't mean to get your spirit shattered there. But it worked out!

The talk with Umbra. I live for these scenes. Knocked it out of the park. Every player did a perfect job between Shock, Awe and Fear. The NPCs from Death to the Guardian were just so spot on. The right amount of Regal Ownership, to anger, to nurturing. It felt good to be genuinely afraid and on the knife's edge there.

That information dump,... so many places to go! So many things to do. The best part was that with all the questions answered, it just created new ones!

Despite not having much if any of our monster camp costumes, the make up was spot on and the costuming was all that was needed to sell the scenes. Sometimes the most simplistic things make the scene that much more real, and we fill in the rest with our imaginations.

Cheers again, everyone for a great game. Thank you again for coming together and being a truly brilliant and inspiring LARP community.

-Isaac

Man, Isaac hit the most important points and said it better than I would have: the best part of the day was the community and how amazingly it came together.

I want to thank the players who unwittingly dealt with my first time running a mod, and statting NPCs. Also it was great to see the new faces who came and made it through such an unusual day of LARPing. I hope to see you come back!

Thank you all. I had a terribly good time. I'm sorry I had to leave so early. I'd love to do this again sometime.
I think my favorite was when the PCs didn't let the dogs out. Poor puppies!

Back