Elemental Blade - Switch Elements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mguarino

Artisan
Marshal
Hi, I have a question regarding the spell Elemental Blade.

Per the rulebook,

"The recipient chooses which element and when to use the Elemental Blade, and announces the total damage of the swing while saying "<element>" instead of "normal" or "silver." Available choices are ice, flame, lightning, or stone." (ARB 118)

Now, I've been told two different things by marshals (different chapters, but that shouldn't matter):

1) If you have an active elemental blade, you may choose a different element for each swing/shot if you like.
2) Once you choose an element (someone said that the spell verbal changes so that the caster picks the element, but the rulebook explicitly refutes that), you are "locked into" that element for the whole ten minutes and may only call that carrier (or normal, silver, or magic as your weapon allows).

The rulebook text isn't clear, and like I said, I've been told different things in person by marshals. The way it was first explained to me was 1), and the few times I've actually had an elemental blade active, I've been switching up my elements and nobody's called me on it. But, as 2) is more restrictive, I don't want to be cheating. What's the official ruling on this?

I apologize if this has been asked and answered before; a cursory perusal of the boards didn't yield anything.

Neither (or 2, if you are already excluding the incant thing). The spell is "Elemental Blade," which is how it is incanted. When you activate the effect, you pick the element at that moment. You may not change the element after that point.
Matt,
Sea/OR Marshal

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back