Down Spear

Khale

If any of the Marshal can tell me what they feel is an acceptable cross gaurd for hand protection on a downspear I'd appreciate it. (Dimensions and such) I didnt see much in the rulebook to help me

so, is there going to be some sort of set standard either localled used or alliance wide as a rule of thumb?

Edit: Reeve isnt the same as an Alliance Marshal.

Hey Jeremy,

No biggie, the standard rulebook doesn't offer much in the way of guidelines for this. My advice would be to keep the cross/hand-guard roughly same sized in with as a standard handguard for a sword or somewhere between the width to about twice the width or so of the weapon itself.

Anything more, or anything with clear purpose to simply give the spear a larger "hand-blocking surface" will probably not pass. Obviously, Chicago wants to encourage people to get creative with weapon cosmetics, if you are trying for something that you think might trip up this particular "loose rule of thumb" feel free to engage with any of the weapons folks online with more specifics as to a weapon proposal.

Paul

I was thinking roughly 12" to 14" across which might sound big reading it but when measured out on a downspear isnt much..to me anyways. I was going to use a closed cell foam for the hand guard.

also, thanks for the response!

Hi, are you talking about the type of handguard that attaches both at the "hilt" and and the bottom end, so there's a loop around the hand (making a D-shape), vs the type of crossguard that Paul is presumably talking about, where it's just a small piece at the hilt (making a + shape)?

If it's the former, I think the main question is how far does it stick out sideways from the handle?

A round piece of foam that I'll be affixed to the core of the spear that will be used to protect my hand from knuckle/finger shots. The foam will be circular unless I get creative and carve it into a design.

done in MS paint..so forgive the design

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8sf583qn7osdut/spear.png?dl=0

That looks like your trying to add a shield to your spear. Having a basket hilt to protect your hand is fine but players dont hit hard enough in this game to actually hurt your fingers.

12"-14" is definitely a bit much. Try not to go too far beyond the profile of the spear itself.

Back