Creating Potions/scrolls

Chasmania

Artisan
What is the in-game process for creating potions and scrolls? Other production point skills are pretty straightforward- Alchemy involves mixing chemicals and herbs to create gasses; blacksmith and create trap are obviously constructed items. Scrolls and potions, however, are a little more ambiguous. Thoughts?

personally I have played many a larp where scrolls worked that you used quill and ink, and as you, a caster, wrote the scroll you uttered the spell and it got imbued into the ink, held for the next person who read the scroll to release. Not sure if this is how it works here, but that is my understanding of how many people think and see it happening.

Honestly due to the fact that you 'buy' the scroll and potions at logistics (or often find unrepped tags if the staff is pressed for time) any 'creation' process you wanted to go with is pretty much up to the player. Nothing is particularly required and anything would just be for flavorful RP I assume.

But I think coming up with a bit of a cool pattern or whatnot would be very cool! And I'd love watching it at some point. :)

I haven't personally RP'd too much for the process of creating potions daily, but the experiences I had when I learned the skills (both potion and alchemy) were really great, so perhaps those stories can give some insight!

Kirsten R. (playing the MWE Kat, the toymaker!) taught me the create potion skill IG. She made it into a really awesome RP moment- We went out into a field and collected different types of plants, then inspected different parts of specific plants, then just sort of blended some things together and pantomimed shaking/stirring the potion into the empty vials.

Heidi (playing guildmistress Zat) taught me alchemy, and made it a totally hands-on RP experience. She actually knew some specific plants and ingredients to make some sort of herbal medicinal mixture to soothe bee stings. It was actually a pretty process, actually, but it was in the healer's guild, and she used a bowl and one of those heavy mixing tools, then put the actual result into a glass jar for me.

I love realistic moments like these :) Y'know, I probably should spend some time each game "gathering ingredients" and "mixing potions" into the vials, if I claim to be creating potions at each gather!

Actually making something is a pretty cool way of teaching IG... And useful, as there are bees around the HQ site if I remember correctly.

If I understand the process right, when you make a potion, you pour water into a vial and then talk to the vial, gently trying to convince said water to cast a spell for you at some point in the future. It takes a mixture of kind words and bribes of up to 40 copper to convince the water to cast the spell.
:blink:

-MS

Necro potions follow the same basic formula, except you're screaming yo mama jokes at the water.

Hmm. Now, I've seen some interesting bits.

One game I was in uses silver for scrolls (or for high-level ones, gold)- IG, you're melting the coin down in a specially enchanted bowl that turns the liquid metal + the spell you added into scroll ink- and you then wrote the scroll up with metallic ink.

Brought it to Logistics, turned in the coin physreps, got the scroll stamped.

Back