[Casus Belli Aftermath] Trial of Weaver Maru

Manflesh

Artisan
Chicago Staff
Greetings Unbounded,

My name is Vindicator Levi, the Earth's Chosen protector of Iron Hills. I join the dreaming to share my disgust that a Domain of the Defiled was inadvertently cast within my district. An expedited investigation commenced within hours after the completion of the ritual that created the now colloquially named "Ghost Ward" of Iron Hills.

The investigation was a coordinated effort between Earth Chosen Virtuous Knights and the Knights of Fortinbras. Within 12 hours, Weaver Maru and several dozen Lost Ones under his cohort were arrested and charged with practicing Necromancy. Maru willingly submitted himself and allowed full access to his lab and notes. Within three days of the investigation starting, enough evidence was collected to call a trial. High Vindicator Constantine used his influence on the council to expedite the process in the interest of the public. Here were the findings:
  • For the last 6 months referred as "The Vengeful Winter", Mistweaver Maru was one of several Mistweaver teams researching the cursed spirits roaming the city. In that research, it was determined that the spirits' spectral energy could not be destroyed nor remove or banished by any know science or magic.

• At this juncture, Maru started to designed a ritual attempting to prove a hypothesis that one could anchor the spirits if one could not destroy them. To help in this endeavor, he started working with my colleague Vindicator Phillip, the protector of Riftguard and friend to the Mistweavers. While their combined efforts garner some success, it was clear their ritual was missing a crucial component to allow it to sustain the effect.

• After a ghost attack in one of our lesser labs, it was discovered that an older mine within Iron Hills contained a mineral that had unusual properties that attracted these vengeful spirits. Thanks to the efforts of Edler Bada and several other Unbounded not identified, this mine was cleared out and a mineral was discovered made of moon rock. These moon rocks had strange properties that attracted vengeful spirits. Upon turning them over, Maru and Phillip had their missing component.

• Maru spent all of that night unlocking the magics of moon rock, but discovered it had a dangerous edge to it. The moon rocks contained a sliver of chaos corruption within it. Maru pivoted with this finding and altered the ritual to trap that energy within layers of Earth magic to contain it and eventually render it inert. Philip discovered this in the morning and protested Maru's plan. Maru pushed it through insisting the ritual was safe.

• From its casting, we are unable to determine the exact catalyst for the Domain of the Defiled ritual occurring, whether it was always going to happen or if the unstable falling of the moon rocks during the casting led to it. The court does not find the delineation important, as gross negligence on Maru's part was concluded regardless.

• It was determined that Weaver Maru knowingly worked around necromantic aspects that he incorrectly assessed were safe while building this "earth" ritual. His actions placed others in danger and had Unbounded unknowingly be accomplices to the creation of a necromancy ritual. Last night in front of the Earth's Chosen tribunal, per the laws of Rathfall, he was sentenced to be put to permanent death. It was determined that Vindicator Phillip while not directly involved in its creation, was deemed to have failed in his duties as a Vindicator to protect the people of Rathfall. He was be sentenced 20 years in the Cage. All Lost Ones working under Maru were determined innocent from the charges and released.

Let this be a reaffirmation that there is no work around for necromancy. Never will something like this ritual ever be allowed to be attempted again. We will not have the pitfalls of relentless innovation surprise us like this again.

Our investigation suggests the possibility that the Archduke understood parts of this plan. If this disturbing rumor is true, a meeting of the Triumvirate will need to be called to further investigate.

Vindicator Levi

Last edited by a moderator:
Back