A question on local customs

Phabo

Sayyid y Sayyida,

As I am new to local culture and have not much experience with these sorts of things outside my few years of merchanting, I have a few questions:
  1. How does one request audience with a noble (Lords, Barons, etc.)?
  2. How and when do you bow to the different nobles?
  3. Do the local nobles take kindly to the adventurers who frequent these parts?
Thank you for help with these questions,
Wild Rose
Owner of the Wild Rose Adventuring and Trading Company

Wild Rose,

1. You may request an audience with any noble who holds sway over the lands you live in writing or in person via one of their aides. They also should hold open court days from time to time. The system works best when all tiers of society work together. You are an adventurer it seems and will fall under the purview of Duchess Fairfax who typically visits most adventurer markets. When she is busy with more pressing concerns one of her barons or knights will usually be found.

2. Take a knee the first time you meet a noble each market. Other pleasantries may be acceptable. Such as deep bows or curtsies. Get in the habit with lesser nobles such as Knights and you will find yourself showing proper respect to all nobles.

3. The adventurers for the second time have aided during a time of civil unrest. They may well of done what was best for the Kingdom and it seems the country will be stronger in the long run but the actions were unpopular and arguably treason. Adventuring had also been illegal during much of the last year. But now adventuring is legal and a general amnesty for crimes committed during the civil war exist. So your question is complicated. However I know that Duchess Fairfax is a staunch ally to the adventurers and she heralds over Buckland were the adventurers live and gather for the most part. I just throw caution to all of you that you must be careful not to tread on the laws of the land as there will be harsh ramifications.

I think that is all I can say on the topics.

Sir Ganavan Bovar
High Marshal of Duke Raash's Forces

PS. I typically have work available during markets and can be found outside Thuddington.

Last edited:
Rabb Bovar,

Thank you this has been most helpful

Wild Rose

Any noble who makes you bow...be sure to come up with a blade in your hand and end that tyranny.

I'm not very familiar with much going on in Wayside. However, I do know that they just got over a civil war. When it was happening, I tried not to take sides as I lacked a lot of the details and did not want to make things worse with actions. The scars of that war are just starting to heal between adventurers and nobility. Off handed comments like these only damage the peace they've just so recently recovered. I'm sure your comments come from a good place but, they do no good here.

Link
Order of the Emerald Flame

Lets just be clear. Many nobles are thirsting for a reason to outlaw adventuring once more. And also lets be clear even short of that, a single good justification is all that is needed for a severe show of force to be made. The reality is you never actually fought the Magistrate Corps in masse during the civil unrest, nor did many of the most skilled knights take arms against you. Yes adventurers are powerful, but there are always those more skilled, more powerful, it is a universal truth of Fortannis.

I for one would for the good of the land and people take arms if needed. And I am one of the biggest allies to the adventuring community of the senior knights of the Kingdom at this time.

Thank You Link for your words of caution, truth, and generally proving the point that thought before action is prudent.

Sir Ganavan Bovar
High Marshal of Duke Raash's Forces

PS. I typically have work available during markets and can be found outside Thuddington.

I don't typically bow to nobles unless I have seen a reason to do so. It's not because I'm some powerful adventurer, it's just that that's how I was raised.

I kind of like you, Sir Bovar. You seem pretty reasonable. You kind of seem like a ****, but also not... Like, just the right amount of ****-ness, if that makes sense. I would bow to you.

-Radi

Last edited:
Sir Ganavan Bovar,

I would like to assure you I do not share some these feelings towards nobles and that my company and I want to have good relations with all people. We will gladly do work for you this market if there are things need to be done. I will seek you out tomorrow or the day after.

Wild Rose

Look, I'm not talking about those good nobles who act for the betterment of our collective group..I'm referring to those far too common nobles who demand respect because of a title they inherited or were given as some part of a deal.

Another universal truth of Fortannis is that many..note not all but many nobles are fawning parasites. I understand if we disagree on this subject and that's fine Im ok to agree to disagree. I wanted to make position clear I'm not an anarchist espousing the virtues of civil unrest and revolt I'm simply stating that Tyranny should be met with righteous force.

I am always troubled when singular people, usually adventurers, speak about how it is their place to judge those in the noble class. I high recommend that folks show the problem respect regardless of your feelings to that noble in general. Remember much of the respect shown in you kneeling, or bowing is respect to the system that provides safety, stability and daily food for so many. Do not risk that system because you disapprove of someone's attitude or politics.

-Lord Enan Bluewater,
Keeper of the Azure Keep.

Khale,

If you intend to join the adventurers of Westhaven, I will expect you to show proper respect to the nobility there - to be clear, this includes bowing before any person holding the rank of Knight or higher. Consider this a warning: any further threats or insults against the nobility will not be tolerated.

Ser Kurzon Silverleaf

Would you be so kind as to list the laws so that I might familiarize myself with them...so if and when I choose to break any of these laws I will be aware of what the punishment is.

Lord Enan,

Should I not kneel or bow...why would that create a problem in the system for those that it protects? It sounds dangerously like if I didnt kneel or bow that they would cause harm to the peasantry because of my disrespect. perhaps, I misunderstood your intent ?

This was something I also struggled with when I first arrived in these lands. Though mine was more a question of a concern that respect equaled fealty, I have seen the debate you're having quite often. There is only one who I kneel to, and that is my liege, High King Seamus O'Dell. However I will fully bow and pay my respects to nobility and royalty as they are due, and just as I would want paid to my liege and nobility of my lands.

You are paying respect to the title. Whether you respect the man or woman who holds it is irrelevant. You may hold a plague rat in higher regard than the specific person, but they don't need to know that.

May your hearth fire burn eternal and your tankard endless

~Draco Ardel

Everyone who fails to recognize a system, either because they feel too privileged, special, or personally biased against it, weaken the ties that bind us all. We have seen many times in these lands where such weak ties have led to civil war. The time and resources spent reasserting legal authority could be better spent elsewhere. You speak of acknowledging the law and then in the same breath assert that it's your right to decide whether or not a law is sufficiently just and helpful to the people. You own words belie your intents, what you mean to say, to my ear, is that you will personally decide which nobles are acceptable to you and ignore and even assault you find lacking in some manner. This is not you station, and such an attitude is a direct assault on the system that binds us together.

I mentioned that a bow, or kneel is a method of showing respect to a system the directly supports and betters the lives of the average people, you might twist that in your mind to mean that your lack of bowing would directly harm them. Such a willful misunderstanding is common, as it helps to solidify in your own mind your personal importance in a land where you frankly are rare to be seen. People who benefit from a system but refuse to endorse it are the worst kind of blackguards you might refuse to recognize a noble who supports and protects hundreds on people on their land because you disapprove of the way they run their lands. There are already people who are to oversee them, that is why nobles have different ranks and duties.

I won't speak of this more, as you seem the type who believes he can win his points by ceaseless arguments and misunderstandings, your clear attempt at taking my previous comments and attempting to twisting them into a threat to force you to bow tells me all I feel I need to know about you, although it is my hope that your disrespect for lawful authority will not push you into causing the need for direct action as our knights and magistrates already have enough to do without dealing with a traveler who entertains himself by judging those who maintain the structures of society.

-Lord Enan Bluewater

A fuller list of the laws of Wayside are publicly available but here is a basic listing of crimes:

Murder, assault, theft, treason, Necromancy, sedition, use of unsanctioned ritual magics, disrespect to nobility, perjury, possession of illegal alchemical substances (including but not limited to Enslavement, Amnesia, and Euphoria elixirs), the sale of slaves, and taking a free person into slavery are all crimes within the kingdom of Wayside.

The actions listed above are forbidden to all who lie within Wayside's borders - a crime is not a transaction in which one chooses to pay a fine or lie at the end of a sword in trade for a temporary right to commit an act of violence. Making it known that you do not respect the laws and that you intend to break them whenever you choose will not endear you to many officers of the law and will be taken into account when deciding punishment. I would advise you to heed Lord Bluewater's words.

I have so far had no reason to mete out legal punishment to any of the adventurers that make their homes in Westhaven. I would be very unhappy if I were forced to break that peace.

Ser Kurzon Silverleaf

The laws of Wayside apply to all citizens of the Kingdom, including any member of the fifteen protected races who maintains a permanent residence within the borders of Wayside. The protected races are: Barbarians, Biata, Dark Elves, Dryads, Dwarves, Elves, Gypsies, High Orcs, High Ogres, Hoblings, Humans, Mystic Wood Elves, Sarr, Stone Elves, and Wylderkin.

Enforcement of these laws falls under the purview of the nobility of Wayside, or of any officers the nobles appoint to keep the peace. Such officers may include local magistrates, sheriffs, justices, or the deputies of any such officers. An officer of the law may choose to hold a trial if he sees fit, but it is not required and not typically expected for crimes committed by commoners. Any charges made against a member of the nobility must be brought by a noble of at least equal rank, and a trial must be held by a noble of superior rank. Any commoner who believes a member of the nobility has committed a crime may request audience with a noble of equal or greater rank to said noble. The ranking official who holds jurisdiction over the area in which a violation occurs shall be responsible for conducting a trial if necessary, determining the sentence, and carrying out the punishment for any citizen accused of any of the following crimes:

Murder is intentionally causing the death of another citizen to the point of resurrection, with malice and premeditation. The penalty for murder is resurrection. For cases in which intent is not immediately evident, a suspect can be tried instead for involuntary or negligent homicide, which shall carry a penalty entirely at the discretion of the local magistrate or highest-ranking law enforcement official.

Assault is causing bodily harm to another citizen of Wayside. The severity of the punishment for assault shall be dependent on the severity of the offense.

Theft is the appropriation of any items or valuables which are the legal property of another citizen.

Treason is any action which is intended egregiously to harm the kingdom of Wayside, and/or to directly aid Wayside's enemies. The minimum penalty for treason is resurrection.

Sedition is any speech intended to incite people to acts of riot or rebellion against Wayside, any of its duchies, or any of the nobility of Wayside or its provinces.

Necromancy is the use of any magic which calls upon Chaos as its source, including magics cast from memory or from magical items, or creation of potions imbued with the power of such magics.

Unsanctioned ritual magics: All necromantic rituals, or Earth/Chaos rituals cast with the necromantic aspect are strictly prohibited. Any formalist wishing to cast a ritual must obtain prior approval from the appropriate Guild. Additionally, citizens are not permitted to use the Waystone network to enter the private property of another citizen, or property controlled by a member of the nobility, without consent of the Waystone’s owner.

Slavery is to force an individual to work against the his or her will without compensation. It is unlawful to place a free person into slavery, or to exchange a member of the civilized races to another party for goods or services against the will of the victim. Please note slaves purchased legally in years past are still allowed however you should work with local nobility to free them or prove quality working conditions.

Possession of Illegal Alchemical Substances of Greater Command, including Amnesia, Enslavement, and Euphoria, is against the law. Possession of such elixirs carries a minor penalty whereas using them maliciously against another person typically carries a much harsher penalty.

Disrespect to nobility: Offenses against the dignity of a member of the nobility, including insulting a noble, speaking disrespectfully to a noble, or otherwise conducting oneself in an uncouth manner in the presence of a noble, may incur a misdemeanor charge with a minor punishment at the discretion of the enforcing officer. More serious offenses, including perjury (lying to a noble in a way which obstructs their duties) and slander (speaking ill of a noble with the intent to cause harm to their reputation) may incur a more severe sentence, at the discretion of the enforcing officer.

There well may be other laws in your area and regional differences to how enforcement happens do exist. But in the end if you have an issue with a noble speak with another noble. The system works when you support it and use it to resolve problems in the system by the system.

If you were interested in the Kingdom Charter that document which was newly minted after the civil war is the purview of the Royal Family, The Dukes, and Their First Baron/Knight only. But what it ensures is that each Duchy works together moving forward towards fair rule and the betterment of all.

High Magistrate Oliver Stillroot-

-- I have spoken with Sir Ganavan Bovar. I am taking over this matter. I will be in town to do a review of the adventuring community to ensure that we are all working towards a bountiful future. I fear the black thread of civil disobedience was allowed to thrive by the general amnesty granted by the Ducal Council. That amnesty was for past crimes. All of you must know that future crimes will be dealt with.

Thank you High Magistrate Stillroot and Ser Silverleaf. The adventurers seem to be laking a person to go to for legal issues without the need to bother a Knight. I understand that there was a Sheriff though I have not seen him in a while, perhaps this is a matter we could also discus. I feel a lot of this dream is filled with misunderstandings and am glad to hear that you will be coming out to the tavern this gathering to speak in person and hear concerns in person as well.

Fredrick Crawford - Uranian Apprentice of the Solar Guild

High Magistrate Oliver Stillroot,

I again would like to apologize that my question turned into a horrible mess. Please seek me out this market so I might assure you that there are few adventurers—or perhaps only one—who agree with such. Those in my employ and myself wish to work close with the nobility in these lands and want to strengthen all relations between. If there is anything I might do for you and the people of Wayside you only need to let me know and I will help as best I can. My company does many things and always love a challenge.

I would be honored to meet you, so please, if you have time, seek me out so we might meet.

Yours,
Wild Rose
Leather Worker
Confectionner
Engineer
Hunter
Merchant/Adventurer for Hire

Looks like someone definitely dodged an arrow...however, if this Khale person goes missing and doesn't return, then it's safe to assume Duchess Fairfax sent him to The Northlunds. That is, if the rumors are true or not...

- Matt Wickens

Back