A Proposal for the Younger Adventurers

Shebol

In my time observing other adventurers and their habits, I have noticed a common trait amongst those whom are weaker than most. This is something that puzzles me greatly, as it seems many have forgotten what it means to be an "adventurer." Pity, I think, to see the new and impressionable bridled with fear and doubt in their own abilities.

Many of us look up to the stronger folk, those who have been doing this for year and years, are special in some way-- guardians, legal enforcers, nobles, masters of swords and alchemy, all of which are, indeed, admirable. Yet, I have witnessed a saddening truth: we rely on these men and women solely because we believe them to be "better" than us.

I regret to say that it has infuriated me to some degree, watching the weak hide behind the shadow of the strong. And further, I am sickened by how many of the strong disregard the weak for their own gain-- though they may say it is for the better, is it really? When they are gone, no new adventurers will have the experience to take their place. No one will be there to defend the world, as they claim to be doing.

Luckily, I have also seen a great deal of sincerity among few of the strong, ready and willing to aid others in their time of need. Even I have been cradled in the arms of them when the worst has come to the worst, cried and hid my face like a mere child in their bosom, yet refuse to depend on them-- or anyone.

You see, I believe we are just as capable, if not more so, as they are. I say this solely because of my own experience, where words have saved us and no blood need be shed. Only a fool rushes in to meet one with hostility (though it never hurts to have a backup plan).

My proposal, my kin, is this: tear from the shadows of your idols, claw your way from beneath their thumb and stretch your arms out to the world. Do not let the actions of others dictate your own, for such a thing is weak and worthless in the long run. Do what you feel you must, not what you are advised. The ill will of the stronger adventurers are set in stone, but ours are not.

Decide for yourself which species are hostile and which are not. Decide for yourself who you befriend, who you reach out to help. Only a fool would assume the same of every member of every race, and only a complete waste of breath would follow such. Their lives are far beyond yours, do not be biased by their bitter scorn and enigmatic behavior.

I have fled the Tavern many a time to quest on my own. Each time I have returned alive, and at times, come back a silver richer. I spoke to Cobalts and made a peaceful agreement with them, have been taught and told valuable things by Orcs and Dark Elves, and had I followed the word of others, would have never learned these things.

Perhaps I am wrong.

But at least I am free.

My name is not my own,
It is borrowed from my ancestors,
I must return it unstained, not dirty

My honor is not my own
It is on loan from my descendants
I must give it to them unbroken. It is our bond.

Our blood is not our own,
it is a gift to generations yet unborn,
We should carry it with responsibility

These vordz like all vords have power. The problem iz few live by them. In the end most adventurers are self serving thugs. This iz the zad truth of affairz. Inaction and negotiation are common place. Cowardice can be forgiven, vut when it iz combined vith disrespect vor those who bleed for others it is nigh unforgiveable. Many zpeak of nobility. Nobility iz a sham. True nobility iz not a title or a proclaimed thing. Nobility must be proven with blood. Blood cleanses all thing and no lie can stand before it. Take these vordz however vou vant vut there iz power here.

By the Blood, May the light guide you and shadow guard your path,
Kitaruen

The greatest knowledge is that gained by trial, not by teacher.

- Raelon, Seeker of Magic.

These were the last words of my mentor and predecessor, Raelon. All people should heed Clock's advice.

Zo listen to vour teacher because teachers are meaninglezz. This iz the vords vou have used.

Kitaruen

[Chuckles] Raelon had a strange sense of humor, yes, but you take his words too literally. No knowledge is meaningless, nor is it possible to find it all on your own. The point he was making is that it is one's duty to add to that pool of knowledge of their own effort, rather than be satisfied only by that offered to them: as a Seeker who has access to over a millennia of knowledge, do those words not seem fitting?

My honor is my own. My name is my own. I am my own being, and no one can tell me otherwise. Think as you will, but each person, each being, is their own. No blood is borrowed, no name and no honor; you are what you become, you are yourself, and no one else.

Blood does not solve problems as often as it creates them.

Be as you will, your words I will remember, but I have my own path to make.

I feel you're pain, El.

Clock. As zealous as I can see you are for individuality, I advise you keep your crusade aimed solely at social issue within your grasp, not cultural beliefs. Remember that you ARE only 17 years if age: there are many trials you must face and overcome before you can tell a gypsy that blood is inconsequential, and by then I hope you will think twice. You can be more stubborn than I at times.

Clock,
You are so not understanding what has been said. No one here has said you are not your own person. You are a product of your father and your mother. There for, you share their blood and they gave you their name, YOUR NAME. Your honor, your honor is yours, but the decisions you make reflect your family.
Clock, I don't know you well. I have tried to help you, tried to guide you, but when you say the words you say, sometimes I think you are to lost and can not be helped.
I know, I know that you don't want to be helped, but no one can go through thus life alone. No one is an island.
I feel my words will not have much impact, but as you say, that are my own.

Squire Foss Siril

Foss,

Is this person for real? Is she really on her knees, asking the Romani to curse her, or just obliterate her? That's what I'm hearing

Eric

*goes back to watching and eating popcorn*

[Disarms Popcorn] I need this person alive. Kit, please forgive her, she doesn't mean disrespect to you and your people.

I believe this is getting blown way out of intention. It is easily done so here and words are best measured carefully. There is both wisdom in what Clock's message was and Kitaruen's reply.

A pure hearted message about those new to adventuring to be brave and explore the world with open eyes and minds. From a young Mystic Wood Elf, I would expect no less then to be a free spirit. It was a call to be brave and experience things for yourselves.

Kitaruen's message is yet valid, though I found it a bit cryptic and could have many meanings. I know him to meant it as words of wisdom and guidance. Family are sometimes things we flee from or fear; yet sometimes we seek to form new families and traditions from the ashes of the old. I dare not talk much of blood, but it is our blood and heritage of different races and cultures that shape us. Honor can be subjective, honor to do the right thing or to follow orders? I don't say these things to unseat Kitaruen's message, as I found it enlightening, but to point out even these topics carry different values.

Again, I urge you all to measure your words carefully. As Kitaruen also pointed out words have power. I fear words meant to encourage are likely to be tainted with discouragement and fear. Thank you both for your words.

Marsters,
Stop aspirating things. You're not being helpful.

Wycliffe,
I know Clock is important to you, but also, you're not helping. Just also putting a target on your head as well.

Rayne,
I'm impressed. You read the situation and put up a lot of good points. Unfortunately Kit us not the only person whose Clocks words hurt. And once she realizes that then the forgiveness can begin if that is something that can happen at all.

Squire Foss

Foss, I find it extremely annoying that you would tear off the bandage Rayne JUST dressed this wound with. Learn when words are no longer necessary.

Also, I am not, nor will I ever be, worried about myself. I've been killed many times over the years I've been alive, more than you, but there has yet to be a true threat to me or my mission. Keep your concerns to yourself.

- Wycliff, the Seeker.

I meant not to cause harm, yet to simply state my position on the mater. Do as you will, be as you will, and believe as you will-- I attack no one by not conforming to nor following customs my species, my existence, does not agree with.

The lot of you seem to forget that at times, some must disagree and be done with it. Just because we do not see eye to eye does not make us enemies but, rather, can aid us in learning from one another. To attack one who does not conform to your "norms" is never the answer to anything, especially not among adventurers.

This issue, as many others have been, is miniscule in the grand scheme of things. Do as you will to put your world back together, and I will do as I will for the same.

To assume me "lost" or "unable to be helped," to assume that I would intentionally request harm upon myself by merely stating my beliefs is irrational and foolish. I meant no disrespect, no harm-- I simply disagree and have my own way of seeing things, as I was raised with different values and morals.

Our world is in peril. Issues like these are petty in comparison to what is becoming of the world around us. I suggest we disregard our different upbringings and values and do what we believe to be right for our world, before it is to late.

So much scuffling goes on between the adventures. I can hear the Outcast and his ilk mocking us as we speak.

"I can hear the Outcast and his ilk mocking us as we speak." [cough cough] Literally [cough].

If I may interject for a moment,

Clock, I think that it is okay to be a free spirit as I believe I am one also. Here's where your words bring pain to those around you.

We as experienced adventurers (yes I am considered one) have never once expected the newest memebers of the community to stand in our shadows. We don't want to be thought of in this manner and its hurtful to think that in your head you feel that there is a social "norm" to break free from. We are all working towards the same goal to save this ill fated land and when you propose that the youngers "tear themselves" from their mentors, it forces a rift further open.

I am just that, a mentor and along with my fellow more experienced folk we don't mind teaching those who may not know. We are not the terrible picture you paint of us. I have yet to meet mentors that demand us to follow blindly, and if I did I would learn from their lack of compassion and move on because even a lesson can be learned from those experiences.

I was young once, I learned everything I know that makes me who I am from the people around me and the experiences we share. Otherwise I may have been a dragons lunch many times over.

Also, you have hurt Kitauren with your blatant disregard for his advice. His people believe in those words to their very core being. I believe in their meaning and smile to think I have more than just myself making sure my legacy won't suffer my past. You took those words and threw them back in his face and thus I believe that you should rethink how you spoke to him and possibly come up with some semblance or a sincere apology. We all should be careful not to make our friends and conrads into our enemies by insulting their heritage.

Wyclif, unfortunately there still has been no bandage placed on this wound and it will continue to fester until proper treatment has been found. And I know you care for Clock but you aren't helping this situation much. Please remember the same words I spoke above and do not compare yourself with what you don't know. Squire Foss has died many times over, as have I, and it is not a race to see who has done it more, in truth the people who care that you have died will take care of you but most people will not cry for you. It is a harsh truth I know. Try not to get caught up in a "my life is worse" battle.

Rayne, I am enlightened by your words and I will meditate upon them honestly. Thank you for your contribution.

Foss, I know you are angry, I know Kitauren is furious but please remember that those around you that care seek to help fix the problem soon. I know that you can eventually forgive and I thus I won't ask that of you now. Please just try to see both sides.

Kitauren, cousin from my second and most loved family, I know that Clock has hurt you in ways only you could completely understand. I beg of you to seek me out for tea so we can talk about what has been said and perhaps come to a conclusion to help heal what has been damaged. Much love to you and your Familia.

Clock, I offer the same to you as you are my kin by racial tie and part of the same forest of ancestry.

Everyone, all I ask is that we work together to fix the rift that has opened between us as it is only going to weaken our line of defense. If you see fit to see both sides of this coin I urge you to think on it hard and remember what can be learned even from this.

With love,

Eldandiril Zanabanath

I feel that I may be able to share my view, as I am between being a younger adventurer and a more experienced one, as well as being part of the familia.

Clock,
Yes. You are your own person. Feel free to do as you wish, and I will not hold you back. Nor would I imagine anyone else can or should. However, if somebody gives you a good reason not to trust a certain race or not to go to a specific place based off of their own personal experience, and you even /slightly/ trust them, then that might be something to take into consideration before acting.

You say that many people "rely on these men and women solely because we believe them to be "better" than us". As a matter of fact, that could not be farther from the truth for me. I look up to these adventures as my mentors. They have taught me how to adventure and have earned their respect, and that is why I look up to them. I believe Kitauren's words to be true to the core with every fiber of my being, yet I do understand that that may only be due to the fact that we are both Romani and share the same heritage. However, I do believe it to be strong advice regardless.

Wycliff,
From what I have gauged of you, I feel that you desire and demand the respect that nobles desire and older adventurers get, yet I have not seen any reason why I should do so. I have yet to see you act in such a manner that deserves this kind of honor and respect. To be quite honest, to me you come off as arrogant and naive. It may also be in your best interest to be cautious with who you insult.

Foss & Elle,
I love you both dearly, and you are both rai. However, be careful with the words you choose, as it is important never to speak on someone's behalf. Kitauren and I are bonded by blood, yet very rarely can even I know what he thinks.

Raynn,
I thank you for shedding your light on this. I believe everything you say to be true, and appreciate what you have said.

May you all find your way when you least expect it,
Banradi Irani Moduri

Last edited:
Raynn may it ve said, that my rezpect vor vou and vourz grows by the day. I thank vou for your words and insight on the matter at hand as it vas clear and concise.

Vycliffe may it ve said, that vou are learning vut still seem to stumble on vord and deed. Vut I appreciate that vou are learning and trying to be a peace maker. Vut know the bandage did not exist that vou claim Voss ripped off.

Voss and Elle may it ve said, that vou matter much to me, vut that vou both have troubles that run deep and it cloudz vour responses I fear. Vou are not wrong in vhat vou zay ofcourse, vut perhaps tone and demeanor could ov been more clear headed. Than again that iz alwayz lost in the dreaming. Voss just because I do not zay it often enough, Thank vou vor caring for Katarina during the lost years. And Elle just remember vou are loved and it always gets better.

Radi may it ve said, Haha Intoxicake. Glad vou made it back from the big gather.

Clock may it ve said, that you are a child and I shall treat vou like one. I shall ignore vour vords this time. A trio of mystics vho are each very special to me have talked me into thiz. They defended vou because of blood ties vou do not even respect, One of them payed honor to vou by proclaiming you are just trying to find vourself and seek the same "Just Me" philosophy that has zo endeared her to me. The difference here iz she has respect vor others and can zee beyond the narrow of her nose. Vut I digress. They implored me to teach vou what the vords mean and thus I vill try at the next gather.

Truly I cringe vor those who do not understand the power of names vor it iz all our loved ones have of uz in the end,
Truly I shiver vor those who do not understand honor az it iz vhat are friends and family vill judge uz by in the end,
Truly I weep vor those who do not understand the blood vor they are truly alone in the end.

I am Klaive Kitaruen Kopanari Stin Svetlo Targoatian
Defender of Blood of the Romani
Son of a Seer and a Chocolatier
Brother to Murdered Sisters
Member of Shadowslight
Cousin to the Vampire Prince Rheinous Targoatian
This is my name, this is who I am, Insult me again or those I care vor, And I will teach vou of honor, name, and blood.

Back