Detonating mechanism and containers in traps

Status
Not open for further replies.

markusdark

Knight
On page 415 of the ARB, under Flame/Acid Traps, second paragraph:

"In addition to a trigger and detonating mechanism, there must also be a physical representation of the oil/acid “container.”"

What is the detonating mechanism? This is the only type of trap that mentions this. I understand the visual; a bottle with a small explosive taped to the side. It explodes, shattering the bottle and sending out the liquid everywhere. Triggers are defined in Traps section as being the part of the trap that indicates the trap has been set off. Is this just text that is held over or do acid/flame traps need a third item in them and, if so, what are the requirements for it?

In addition, the containers for acid, flame, explosive and gas are to be 32 cubic inches. Do they need to be actual containers or would a solid object of that size work as a representation?

Thank you.

I'm going to take this to the internal marshal discussion as the first part is somewhat open to interpretation. As for the second, given that it states examples of bottle/box, I'm fairly confident in saying that it does have to be a hollow container (though said container doesn't need to open).

Upvote 0
Hello Markusdark,

The general consensus is that the "detonator" is intended to distinguish it from a noisemaker trap. Alongside this, the phys rep requirements are described for the container and trigger, but not for the detonator (as you pointed out). Therefore, it appears that the only criterion the detonator has to fulfill is that of technically existing. Given that, it is acceptable for the player to say the detonator is part of the phys rep for the container, and not a distinct object.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back