Kitchen, Food Stuffs, Meal Plans, and scouts...

Jesse Grabowski

Squire
Marshal
Hey Folks,

I want to be fully transparent as some of you might be wondering what to do about food this coming season. Mod Day will be different, as some folks are doing their own thing in the Kitchenettes and possibly Dia and Izzy might also be providing some nourishment.

I am speaking directly about our weekend long events throughout the year.

The scout approved chef is a local to our site and is a wonderful woman named Joyce. I spoke with her today and she told me the following information:

Meals are $8 each if we have more than 50 meal plans, $10 if under 50 plans.... yes... that means breakfast too. That would be $24 for the meal plan (or $30) which seems like way too much to me. However, I think having us all together as a community for each dinner might be the way to go, and as such, I would charge $9 for the dinner plan to cover some of the NPC costs.

For breakfasts, you all would fend for yourselves. There was some talk of each cabin "adopting" the NPCs each event. That's an idea as well. If people were willing to do this all year, I would give goblin stamps for this service.

Jack Jenkins also expressed staying involved to some degree to help us out, even though he can't use the big kitchen.

Mike Paxton also showed me a neat idea used in another game that uses "tavern coins" for meals throughout the day that is NOT during the dinner hours. So basically, drinks would still be for 1 copper piece each here, however, throughout the day, Deepjugs would only offer: PBJ sandwiches, grilled cheese, a piece of fruit, quesadilla, and servings of soup for one tavern coin each. These would be purchased via paypal for $1:1 tavern coin. You show up to game, and the tavern coins are in your envelopes. Additionally, each NPC would be given a few of these upon arrival.

Another item to consider is that each of the kitchenettes have NOTHING in the way of utensils, plates, pots, or pans so if you are making things in your cabin, you do so by bringing, cleaning, and taking away with you these items each event.

I was going to create a poll and I still might, however, I wanted to hear your opinions on all of the above and other ideas as well.

Thank you! Let's solve this together!
Jesse

I like the idea of one community meal + snacks/small food all day long myself! It's a good compromise. I think with kitchens in our cabins, teams will want to do more meals in their cabins than before.

I really like that idea too. Considering how nice the cabins are, a reason to congregate for community is always welcome. It does mean that getting days started might be even slower, since people can roll outta bed and don't need to get to the tavern for breakfast, but instead make their own at "home". I like the Tavernickels idea.

Jesse, I'd like more information. I'm confused by something in your post. You say $8/meal, and it comes out to $24, which implies 3 meals... but no breakfast? Which meals are you counting? Lunch Saturday, Dinner Saturday, and...?
  1. $24-30 doesn't seem like too much to me to add for a full meal plan for PCs.
  2. For PCs, using the kitchenettes (with planning) doesn't seem burdensome to me, having visited the site.
  3. I do worry about monitoring cabin cleanup on Sundays, however, with kitchenette mess.
  4. Breakfast is the least of my concern. It's easy to bring fruit, yogurt, muffins, whatever, for yourself (or for NPC Camp) and cover that meal on your own.
  5. I feel very strongly that the game should make it completely free for full-time volunteers; no event fee, cover meals entirely. Make it easy for people to NPC or staff our game.
  6. As Cassie often says, "All creatures can bond over food." I think the game loses something if we don't have central meals together. I'd much prefer that we do.
Trace

I think what he's saying is that he would charge $9 for the meal plan to cover NPCs and not provide breakfasts. So $1 of each PC's fee would go to covering NPCs. 'Zat right?

I think most people would be willing to pay $10 (at least) for dinner Saturday to help make sure NPCs were free. Then again, might be worth disconnecting the meal plan from NPC meals so that NPCs get fed even if PCs end up retreating to their Izzy-enabled kitchenettes. (everyone has one of those right? No? sad.)

I think I'd pay $10 for dinner. Having Lunch/breakfast on my own (or using Tavernnickles). I wouldn't pay $30 for food on a larp weekend plan. Too often I miss meals or I don't think the value is there (breakfast for example).

I do feel like somehow Tavernnickles needs to make enough to cover food for NPCs for breakfast/lunch. It is important that we provide some food for NPCs imo.

I'm not into $10-24 for food at site if i have a kitchenette. I do like the tavernickles idea. It is nice to have warm food at the ready if I'm hangry and want to go on a mod or something but not hike down for food at my cabin. It looks like the cost of this site has gone up based on the site links. Between that and then also meal plans? Not desirable financially for me. I love the tavern togetherness and hope if there isn't meal time like there was that the tavern environment won't suffer for me.

Mandi

When are the scouts kitchen crew going to be serving food. That will play a part in how much I'm willing to pay. Because of the previous short time windows food was served, and being a busy PC, I didn't mind $15 for the meal plan and I ended up missing a meal. At $30 I would mind quite a bit. We also got 3 meals under the previous plan (two breakfasts and a dinner). So I am also confused as to what meals are being covered? Even at $9 that would only be $18 for the meal plan.
Otherwise I like the idea of "Tavern nickles" to supplement meals with snacks.

Cory

Hey Folks,

I want to be fully transparent as some of you might be wondering what to do about food this coming season. Mod Day will be different, as some folks are doing their own thing in the Kitchenettes and possibly Dia and Izzy might also be providing some nourishment.

I am speaking directly about our weekend long events throughout the year.

The scout approved chef is a local to our site and is a wonderful woman named Joyce. I spoke with her today and she told me the following information:

Meals are $8 each if we have more than 50 meal plans, $10 if under 50 plans.... yes... that means breakfast too. That would be $24 for the meal plan (or $30) which seems like way too much to me. However, I think having us all together as a community for each dinner might be the way to go, and as such, I would charge $9 for the dinner plan to cover some of the NPC costs.

For breakfasts, you all would fend for yourselves. There was some talk of each cabin "adopting" the NPCs each event. That's an idea as well. If people were willing to do this all year, I would give goblin stamps for this service.

Jack Jenkins also expressed staying involved to some degree to help us out, even though he can't use the big kitchen.

Mike Paxton also showed me a neat idea used in another game that uses "tavern coins" for meals throughout the day that is NOT during the dinner hours. So basically, drinks would still be for 1 copper piece each here, however, throughout the day, Deepjugs would only offer: PBJ sandwiches, grilled cheese, a piece of fruit, quesadilla, and servings of soup for one tavern coin each. These would be purchased via paypal for $1:1 tavern coin. You show up to game, and the tavern coins are in your envelopes. Additionally, each NPC would be given a few of these upon arrival.

Another item to consider is that each of the kitchenettes have NOTHING in the way of utensils, plates, pots, or pans so if you are making things in your cabin, you do so by bringing, cleaning, and taking away with you these items each event.

I was going to create a poll and I still might, however, I wanted to hear your opinions on all of the above and other ideas as well.

Thank you! Let's solve this together!
Jesse

While I'm a huge fan of the communal meals, $10/meal or $30/weekend is waaaaay too much for me, especially with the event price going up. I'll definitely be opting for smaller meals in the cabins.

I think at least one camp-wide meal (Sat dinner) would be great for community and roleplaying (and for players to meet specific NPCs). $8 or 9 for a decent meal is fine, I think, though I'd be suspect of what a scout camp will be serving! (and I'm gluten and dairy free, so chances are I won't be able to eat half of what they prep). If we are allowed to prep food in a cabin, and bring it to a common hall (tavern?) then it may be easy for someone or someones to host inexpensive breakfasts for everyone (oatmeal, cereal, fruit, toast, cream cheese, nut butters if that's allowed at this site). That said, I'm not available for a bunch of events this season, unfortunately!

FWIW, I think we are foolish if we give up on the whole-game meals. So much community gets built by the simple act of nodding to others as you pass in the aisles or hearing the laughter of another group even as you prepare to run into the night to fight evil.

I would be strongly in favor of keeping the Saturday night meal as a big effort... and I hope people will also consider finding ways to gather outside our "groups" at other mealtimes.

Ok so the Dinner only for $8 is going to definitely happen. Sorin will be putting up the meal button soon.

Still on the fence about how to feed my NPCs breakfast.and would like some ideas.

If I go the tavern coins idea, I can hand out a few to each NPC for lunches.

Thoughts?

Idea for NPC breakfast:
Selection of fresh fruit, yogurts (with plastic spoons), and CostCo ginormo muffins, and small containers of orange juice.

Keep these in the fridge of the main cabin for the NPCs - serve yourself.

Trace

I priced some stuff at sams and it looks like you can also get about 8-12 breakfast things for about $10, such as breakfast corndogs, burritos, etc. Same applies for lunches, they had some frozen sandwiches and such that were about $12 for 10-12 sandwiches. I sent pictures to Paxton on my phone so he could have some ideas.

Ok... here's the final plan...

Dinner only $8
tavern coins $1 each on paypal. Button coming soon!

Between the hours of 11am-4pm on Saturday only, you can get:
for 1 tavern coin: PBJ sandwiches, a piece of fruit, or soup
for 2 tavern coins: grilled cheese, cheese quesadilla

Certainly! But only because they are small items. This shouldn't be an issue to start, but if too many folks are hoarding them, we might get stuck with not enough in November! LOL

Back