Grimshaw

Lurin

Duke
I have heard about your problem, Nehani speaks highly of you, and your intentions with the recent mediation attempts between two very hard headed people speaks well of you.

If you are willing to do me the honor I would like to remedy your situation for you at my expense at the first opportunity this next gathering. I request only that you bring the one person who you believe knows you the best, and trust in my ability to handle matters of this nature.

-Lord Enan Bluewater

Lord Bluewater,

Lord Wyldweaver tells me there are but two way to "remedy" my new condition. The first is a sword thru the gullet an a trip to the nearest earth circle. The second is more magik in nature. I assume you're speakin' of the latter.

I's not sure if this some-fin the fates had in store for me or if-in this is just a tragic accident. And its my understandin' that you sir are livin' wit a similar condition.

So before I's answer I must ask a question of you sir. For me own piece of mind, as it were, an that I am awares that some members of government believes ,that like necromancy, lycanthropy should also be outlawed.
So from one afflicted to another:

Is this some-fin that is controllable that one could live wit? And if so, worth it?

Grimshaw

Is this some-fin that is controllable that one could live wit? And if so, worth it?

Grimshaw

I'm not Lord Bluewater but, once you learn to control it becomes more of a gift.

Mother Fortanis in her wisdom refused to stand idly by while Undead, Elementals, and other things that taint the land, defiled her forest, plains, and rivers. The rage inside each and every Lycanthrope is the rage of Fortanis herself. Once you learn to control it you prove worthy of her touch and her gift.

Some of my closest friends have embraced this gift and I'm happy to help you work through it Grimshaw. The same offer I extended to Marsters.

But, I warn you if you choose to except it, it isn't an easy life. I'm not a Lyncanthrope but, our rage and anger come from the same place. Your claws, and my blade strike at the same enemies. It's filled with service towards something, whose only way of thanking you is a sunrise. The only way of thanking you is the comforting sound of rain beating down all around you. Or a bountiful harvest. For some that is more than enough, for others it is not. You'll need to make that decision.

It's also really really important that you don't resurrect during your first full moon.

Link
Order of the Emerald Flame

I and Link come from different lands so our understanding of Lychantrope differs as the effect and influence also differs between lands. It's true that Link has friends that have embraced the power such a curse can bestow in other lands, and they believe it's a boon. I've met some of them, and I can tell you they do not control their curse as much as they believe, or they started as very callous, aggressive individuals. For some that is a reasonable trade off in order to have power to fight off what threatens their lands. Losing yourself to the power and rage is not the solution, and the suggestion that you ever truly learn to control it only goes to show how deeply Link's love of the power it provides clouds his judgement.

To give you some history, my own affliction came as a backlash to a ritual ment to create an item to restore life to the fallen, an item that is still carried to this day by the company, although it's power is almost certainty waning at this point. I inflicted six with the curse, or those I was able to cure three before it was too deeply set in the rest to remove, at least with my abilities and understanding. We resurrected over a dozen people that first night and I skill have nightmares about it. Even with what control I have my friends and family spend much of their effort watching me for warning signs, knowing that with only slight provocation I will find myself loosing the lease I have on my rage.

I will tell you plainly Grimshaw, it is not worth it, everything I have accomplished with the rage could have been better done without it, by asking for help and working with others. While I do not share the fact often I have continued to look for a way to rid myself of this curse, and the best, only solution I have found is to pass my aspect to another. Don't allow yourself to become as lost as I, while I for the first time see a path where I might finally be rid of my bear it will be another year or turmoil and strife and will depend largely on the commitment and bravery of another.

Don't Be tempted Grimshaw, Link, and most of the People of his land are tempted by power and spend much of their time in the blind search for it, some turning themselves into monsterous races, or making pacts with various planar powers, his own history is not something you want to emulate. I beseech you, let me cure this while such a cure is still an option.

-Lord Enan Bluewater

I am sorry Link, but you know we disagree on this and I am trying to save this man from losing himself. This is a curse not a boon and you should not encourage people to embrace it.

- Lord Enan Bluewater

Lord Bluewater,

How long have you had this curse?

~asura

Enan,

I was there when you embraced it. I gave something up to help protect you from the plague. We've joked together about how this was part of you. I can respect that we have differing opinions on this now but, you've only shown me what you really think of myself and my friends.

I've done nothing but show you respect, and come to your lands with the intent to of helping your people and your friends. We've worked together trying to help Eldandril. I'm not some foreigner to be pushed away when I say something that you disagree with. I've been adventuring in Wayside with as much regularity as you this past year.

You've managed to hurt me deeply with your words.

Grimshaw,
Good Luck.

Link

Asura,

It will be 5 years since I was infected soon.

Link,

I am sorry I have hurt you, and we should talk about this in the future, but your eagerness to see others infected worries me greatly. Please forgive my...let's call it passionate argument, my primary concern is to ensure Grimshaw does not suffer what I have, and perhaps more importantly what I have inflicted on others in the past.

-Lord Enan Bluewater

Werecreatures can be powerful warrior. I don't deny it.

But, my words were not meant to steer him either way. Grimshaw is his own person and should decide something like this for himself. But, he also asked about living with it. It's not my place to lie to him, take away a chance for him to grow. He fights with us, and so he is one of us. That earns him a honest answer. And if it's something he wants to do, you know first hand how easy it is to let it loose. Some men don't ever come back. I'd prefer he have a friend with him helping him. As oppose to hiding it in shame, and having outburst when we least expect it.

If you reread my words they are one part advice, and one part caution. Especially the part about it not being an easy life.

Regardless of where you get your power from, monstrous transformations or trinkets you quest up and down Fortanis to secure, adventurers inflict pain on others. It's parts of the job. Sometimes its intentional, other times it is not.

How many children grew up with out a father because their father's became bandits that you dispatched? What about men who were drafted in an army that fought against you?
I know my blades have stopped too many family reunions. It's the life we signed up for. We do it so others do not have to.

Maybe your form has caused more then it would be with out it? I don't know Enan, and no one can ever really know. It's certainly enabled you to do some good. I've seen at least 2 cases of it in the past few months.

If you feel it has become a burden, I encourage you to rid yourself of it. Honestly, it's me who's more worried about you. But, I understand getting lost in emotion.

But, don't ever think my interest are impure. Yes, I'm rough. Yes, I get frustrated with people. Yes, maybe I dirty my hands in ways, so others do not have to.

But, very much like yourself, I do this so others can sleep better at night.

Link

It disappoints us to hear of the state of Wayside's Were. Before the Great Sleep when we were a Dryad Elder, the Were would never be permitted to roam unchecked through the forest. This is the reason the Keeper of the Lunar Glade would once stand as a leader to the Were, to ensure that the curse would not be passed to anyone incapable of controlling themselves. Your king would not create an army and then turn it loose absent its general; by the same token, if the Were have been allowed to proliferate without the stabilizing influence of pack or leader it should come as no surprise that trouble ensues.

As the politics of our respective nations now leave Wayside's Lunar Glade outside the influence of Elder Bracken, our advice to you would be to restrain the spread of the Were. It is not a thing to be taken lightly and we do not believe many can control the curse without an Elder's guidance, if at all.

--The Eternal Leaf Crown

The Eternal Leaf Crown,

The events of what brought about my good friend, Grimshaw's, affliction of lycanthropy is not his or anyone in towns fault. There was an incursion of Were's upon the town so as to kill us before we killed them, for reason that we had not even been informed were to happen. Of the feral that had showed up they said that we were going to hunt them and thus they decided to strike first. To which they did both, not only in showing up to town but they were the first to strike out once they arrived. Grimshaw's particular reasoning is no fault of his and it is being handled within the adventuring community for he to decide what he wishes to do. Whether that be to keep the curse and learn to control it or to free himself of the curse. The choice is his and I will be willing to take my time to learn how to help him in either choice. I also know that he understands the severity of what it means to be a Were, Such a thing is not taken lightly by any of us.

This spreading of the lycanthropy was not done with intent to build an army or even have Weres, as this was not enacted by an of us but rather the Weres to a possible situation that may have occurred. Please take that in consideration on such matters that have been spoken of. I can say for certain that most of the adventuring community does know the hardship of being a were (from those of us who live with it/ have lived with it) and the things that would happen with the continual spread.

May the best of days be upon you in all matters you must attend to.

Sincerely,
Kathrina Taliss
Long time traveling companion of Grimshaw

We understand your eagerness to defend your friends, little one, but we are not assigning blame, but merely giving a warning.

Consider this: If the Lunar Glade were still a place for Were receive guidance, your friend would not have had the curse inflicted upon him, as the Were who attacked you would have been under its aegis, and subject to the wisdom of its Keeper.

For your own sakes, we hope that your confidence in the adventurers' ability to guide your friend proves to be well-placed.

--The Eternal Leaf Crown

It is important to note that the weres in question were not created by a normal were creature so the normal methods may not be the correct ones. I sent Grimshaw to Lord Bluewater for review and aid but want to make sure all are aware:

Question:

What single creatures bite makes a were shark, weresnake, were bird, wolf, bear, and whose bite automatically changes one prior to the first full moon and renders one feral at first change?

The answer:

Not a Normal were creature. Likely a Protean Spirit.

As of his spirits identification, Grimshaw tested positive for lycanthropy but his spirit was In Turmoil over which animal. It's likely, a specific animal will rise quickly based on any that may have ties to his spirit, or simply favor. This makes the process of finding a mentor a more difficult one of course.

Fortunately, it appears that while the Old Caladorian strain of lycanthropy carried a severe penalty for death during its first moons, it does not appear any local strains do.

In addition, this specific strain is spreading like wildfire and will become an epidemic if left unchecked. It will unfortunately, fuel the fire of fear against all weres which could lead to a very dangerous situation if people start killing all weres indiscriminately, the weres will respond by creating many more Ferals to defend their race.

Given this, it appears likely that the creature responsible for this latest attack is trying to start a conflict between the people of wayside and the were creatures of Terna.

I recommend creating strong ties of peace with the existing were tribes and help bolster them while also reassuring the populace that they are allies to fortanis and to the kingdom. In other words, keep this from being the blood bath it's likely to become.

Jehan Wyldweaver
Lord of Mt Arakis
Master Solar

Mister Grimshaw,

I am sorry those vile creatures got to you. I hope we can find a cure for you before it takes hold. In the mean time which way did those creatures travel and what was their number?

Rest assured the Death Worms will find these Beasts and hunt them down to the last. Lord Bluewater I was unaware of your....condition and hope you can resolve it soon.

In Service,
Baron Henri Martin of Eastland
Commander of the Death Worms

Commander of the Death Worms,

Please forgive my ignorance but, I have never hear of your group. Could you please clarify if you are a mercenary band or an infantryman contingent?

Thank you,
Lady FallingStar

He is my right hand in the war against the abominations and will bring safety and security to all Wayside. He commands the brigade I had formed last winter to counter out of control undead, lycans, and all creatures which go bump in the night.

Duke Robert Turnsen
Dominar of Eastwoods

What exactly are "Death Worms"?

Banradi Irani Moduri
Master of the Waymaker Stones
Apprentice to Mathis - Order of the Emerald Flame

First off Lady Fallingstar it is Your Excellency Martin when you address me. Second as my benevolent lord His Grace Turnsen pointed out I am the leader of his Death Worm forces.

A Vassal Land of Eastwoods
Commander of the Death Worms

Last edited by a moderator:
Back