What news?

Mathis

Scholar
Friend in Arden,

I've heard bits and pieces about events that transpired last weekend from others traveling back to Dragonreach, but I am concerned about the actions of our common foe. Could someone take a moment to provide me with any information you might have learned so that we can better coordinate our efforts against that frigid beast?

Travel safely,
Mathis
Order of the Emerald Flame

We rescued some kin from his minions. Primarily ice elementals. They was a creature there I am unfamiliar with. It was eating the abilities of others. And could toss an arcane lore at you to see how tasty you would be.

Bleak can apparently also get in your head, and try to recruit you.

As I have no idea what is happening in Dragonreach, I do not know if this aids you in any way.

~Ahlana

We were fighting undeads that were all icy when we rescued the kin from their island. Some of them were trying to blow up our rescue boats! There was a mean undeads who was taking people's powers when they were dead on the ground. He was a winnybegdlo! He was going to resurrect Tios in a circle but he didn't. I tried to save Tio's new hat but then I used it to surprise an undead with a sneaky hat attack. I'm really good at tree magic now too!

The End,
Ara

Thank you for the quick responses, I look forward to hearing of any other experiences people wish to share.

It appears that our encounters are similar thus far. In Dragonreach, we have seen and fought the skill stealing Bleak Dead known as windigo before, as well as other creatures tainted by Elemental Ice. I am curious about Bleak's purported ability to "get in your head, and try to recruit you." It is unlike the normal abilities associated with an Ice/Death creature. Who was effected and do they have any thing in common, such as an affinity for the Plane of Ice, that could explain why Bleak might have been able to influence them?

My research has revealed that, like many other powerful extra-planar creatures, Bleak's power grows when the Planes which he is associated gain power in the area. The simplest way to combat this power creep is to destroy the Bleak Dead. If I learn any more I will be sure to share it with the people of Arden.

Travel safely,

Mathis

Mathis,
Is Bleak affiliated with Lightning at all?
(please say no)

-Cpl Syver

At the moment, I believe the wendigo is a more prominent threat: it got a hold of several powerful adventurers abilities, and is now after my own creation/void magic, and I am currently no match for him. Should he be successful in that endeavor, I fear the worst, though there may be a way to use this against him. Hopefully, that situation can be avoided, but in case it occurs, I would like to ask everyone here to give the matter more consideration before Ttempting to trade me, once again, for a hostage he takes. ...

- Wycliff, the Seeker

Raynn -
I heard him too.
And I most certainly was not/am not undead.

~Ahlana

Ahlana

Interesting. Thank you for sharing Ahlana that it wasn't limited to undead. Was it just simply communication or was their compulsion to act differently or temptation? Any of this information may quickly establish what to expect going forward both in Arden and in Dragonreach.

Syver- Nope, not even a little.

Raynn- Ahh "slightly undead." Well, who among us cannot remember a story where they or a good friend was "slightly undead," "accidentally undead," or "had their spirit torn asunder by the dark forces that seek to destroy all of creation?" That makes much more sense. If the effected individuals haven't "got better" already I'll be happy to lend them a hand next month.

Wycliff- I'm not entirely certain what the scope of void magic power might be, but as with any form of exotic magic it is generally best that only the people who have taken the time to gain that power have access to that power. Hopefully it will be possible to locate and destroy this windigo in the coming months.

Travel safely

Mathis

Mathis: I'm not entirely positive, as I have not cast said void magic, but to my knowledge, it is unhindered by circles of power, wards, and prisons, and has no category of bane or cloak. In fact, judging by the current creation spell I've acquired, which grants the recipient a dumb defense against void, it is very likely that spell shields will not work against it, either. Reflect magic may work, but that is still up in the air, as the previous magic I've listed that it ignores are much more potent. The void side of this spell, as it is reversible, is Void Augment, which grants the recipient a one time use to cast any spell as Void only, meaning it is no longer, in any regard, under it's original classification (a prison would no longer be baned or cloaked as eldrich force, and so on), and will function the same as any void spell. In addition, it is a fifth level spell, so the Wendigo would have no trouble gaining many uses of it.

-Wycliff, the seeker.

Mathis,

I would like to state that his aura even though he was through the mist was overwhelming. This is very concerning to me, as even the most potent aura should not travel that far.

I should have information for you soon.

Lady FallingStar

Communication only.
At least for me.

It was quite unexpected and unsettling in the midst of battle.

~Ahlana

I promise that vendigo vill not live long next ve meet. The fact it iz an undead vas lost to me the first time, also it iz personal. Also any and all ov vou it gypsy curses, I svear I vill remove them. No worries.

Kit

Bleak is an ancient foe, I suspect the scope of his power allowed him to project his presence into the minds of others to communicate. The fact that those who were bent to his will were suffering from a touch of undeadness make sense in the scope of his powers.
Perhaps there is something to be learned from those people who were bent to his will about his goals. If they can remember what Bleak wanted them to do it may provide you with insight into what concerns him.

Travel safely,

Mathis

It did not in anyway bend me to its will. It didn't even really try. Was just more of the classic, your cause is lost, you should join me.

~Ahlana

Frankly, being that I had not encountered Bleak before, I thought it was just his aura being depressing.
Is the voice is your head something he typically does?

~Ahlana

That sounds like something impersonating the dragon. Everyone who's said anything about him is always that he's been a force of nature. Storms and Blizzards don't typically talk to people.

Link

Link,

From what I've been given to understand, for the first time in a very long time, Bleak has been weakened to the point where he is no longer that force of nature, but is instead a supremely powerful dragon, capable of cunning and strategy beyond just existing and having **** happen.

If that is true, then it is very possible that Bleak is recruiting, which is very bad.

-Taios

I know next to nothing about Bleak, but I know my undead.

Something to be said of the Wendigo. They are old, very old undead thought long gone. Every Wendigo is a lesser with potential to become greater and so on right on the battlefield. Given enough time they can discern and consume your skills for their own use. Their potential for their deeds is only limited by their victims. Potentially they can consume anything for it's powers and skills.... and knowledge. You see a Wendigo? You kill it as fast as you possibly can.

One very important note. A weapon was once forged to wipe out all of the Wendigo by ancient barbarian rituals. They were simply called Weapons of Eradication.

Today we call them stakes of WoE.

Go get em kids.

Back