a drastic change

Eldandiril

Scout
Chicago Staff
Hey, would anyone be interested in helping me out in finding a spirit forge? I don't feel as comfortable in my skill set anymore and I want to go back to what I feel I am meant to be.

The pigeon box is open aND I dream a lot too.

Let me know,

With love and laughter,
Eldandiril

As far as I am onto your bad side, I've gone through a similarly drastic change in ability, and I do have a method to solve that problem. It is not the spirit forge ritual itself, but it WOULD accomplish the same thing.

My quest for knowledge, at it's current goal, involves a ritual that will transport five people to the source of Creation Magic, which I am told resides within the Astral Plane. This ritual, in order to create forms that can withstand the overwhelming power that is the Astral Plane, will disassemble and reassemble the bodies of the five, including any magical prowess, at which time it will likely be possible to reassemble one's proficiencies in any manner desired, provided it is equivalent to that which previously existed. It won't be without it's risks, but neither is casting spirit forge, and it will not require the insanely expensive catalysts that the latter does.

All this being said, to be included in the ritual, you would need to be one of the five, which would require you to aid in the ritual's preparations. If you would be interested in this method, I am still missing a suitable fifth, a position that you easily qualify for, and you can contact me for specifics.

Sincerely,

Wycliff, The Seeker.

who are the other 4?

Elle

Elle,

You know you have my sword, should you need it.

As of now, it's Nommeric, Shar, and I. The fourth needs only the ability to rift, a trait I don't believe will be too difficult find come time to do so.

The Fifth, Seeker of Time, must be timeless or likewise longer lived than seven hundred years, because the ritual, at the time of casting, will borrow the the "time" of the Seeker in order to freeze the time around the five and generate the Time aspect of Creation Magic. The essence of time will be returned upon conclusion of the ritual, but were the individual to be a lesser lived race, they would cease to exist. If I'm correct, Mystic Wood Elves have the capacity to live multiple millennia, so there would be no problem.

The alternate is Chronomancy, but such a thing is dangerous at best, and extremely difficult to come by.

I had Clock lined up for the job before, but a few things happened and, as a result, I'm simply not her favorite person as of late. Imagine, ME having trouble with women. Puzzling, right? [humorously rolling eyes.]

I'm sure you'll disregard this warning but in 17 years of adventuring, I've never seen anything like this have a positive effect. Needing a timeless form to do anything is a good indication that you're probably dealing in something best left untouched. I've traveled through time plenty, do you know what it's gotten me? A lot of permanently dead friends. There are also creatures who's job it is to ensure this kind of magic is not messed with. An Emerald Flame member once tried to mess with these forces, and brought their wrath down upon himself. The only thing left of him is his armor and his tabbard.

If you listen to anything, then listen to this. No mortal races have timeless forms. Being Timeless is more than just living a long time. After all a large amount of time is relative to perspective. For a Tree a large amount of time is different than for a human. Being Timeless is to be removed from having a perspective of time at all. You stop aging, and you only exist at one place through the entirety of time. Typically what a mortal would refer to as "now". If time is a book, a being with a timeless form exist on just one page. Time is unable to ravage them, and you are unable to go back in time and kill them. Timeless creatures effect the past and future while existing in neither. Rifting typically requires a timeless form. I think it'll be much harder to find someone to rift for you, who would expose themselves to this than you think.

Here would be the part that I'd beg you to not do this. For both our benefits, I'll skip it. But, at least take to heart what I said about timelessness so you don't end up withering away into dust.

Link
Order of the Emerald Flame

The requirement was either a timeless form OR a lifespan above 700. I don't believe Eldandril to be timeless, though correct me if I am wrong. Regardless, however, there are certainly lines that should not be crossed, I agree; however, the pinnacle of magical knowledge lies beyond that line. Also, let's be real: lines have never stopped adventurers before.

I do believe you, however, as the one of my predecessors disappeared while pursuing the nuances of time. What he DID gather, however, is that time stops generally safe. Time TRAVEL is not a part of this ritual. I would never wish to risk the butterfly effect without an extremely good reason.

The rifting portion of the ritual can also be accomplished through the use of a planar gate scroll, though such a method would require the additional risk of backlash.

You seem to have the wrong idea about the ritual's goal itself: it is merely to travel to the Astral Plane while providing adequate protection from the forces there. No participant will travel through time nor become timeless. The timeless option was only for purpose of function: a timeless human would be eligible because they would not be effected when the 700 years is detracted, while a normal human would indeed crumble to dust and cause the failure of the ritual. As I said before, nearly any Mystic Wood Elf would have more than enough possible time to fill that quota.

I appreciate your concern, Link. Know that while I am set on this course of mine, I will not take unnecessary risks in the ritual, in consideration of not only myself, but of the four who would share the same fate as I.

Yes, I realize how many "however's" I used. Quite embarrassing.....

Wycliff;

What is your goal? Are their other requirements?

I understand your a student of creation, but there is some concern that I have regarding this ritual. There is a large difference between 700 years and timeless. Be wary, there may be other forces in play seeking this source of creation of their own ends

If you would, I'd like to be educated on this difference you've suggested: the Tome has no writings on such, and it is certainly an important aspect of time research.

As for the "other forces", I am well aware of that fact, but such forces would be incredibly unwise, indeed, foolish, to attempt using this ritual to do so. Nothing can be brought back that wasn't brought along excluding memory, and furthermore, the ritual only provides protection from the forces within the Astral Plane. It is not the same as a planar asylum: any non-creation magic will be utterly useless there, fizzling the moment it is cast, as a result of the order of Universal Components. Even the Outcast would be unable to use magic there, and any being who CAN use pure creation magic would obviously need no help of mine to reach the astral plane. They could simply rift there on their own accord.
Other than the benefits I have described, such as knowledge and the likelihood of a spirit forge-like effect, there is no physical or magical power to be gained from this venture. It is merely a chance to find out the truth behind Magic itself and the force(s) that created it, if such a thing exists. This is my goal, along with the chance to find my Adoptive mother, the fey Flidia, who disappeared 204 years ago. The ritual will bring the five straight to the source of creation magic, which my research points strongly indicates as the being called "the World Dragon". He would be able to tell me where Flidia is or what happened to her, seeing as no one in the last two centuries could, not even the fey themselves.

As for your question about additional requirements, it largely depends. Matter, Spirit, Magic, Time, and Space are the five roles, or Seekers, that must be present in order to perform the ritual. Each of these has it's own nuances. As a side note, and I'm sure you wonder this, as well, it has foundation in Celestial Magic. Not by nature, which is really indiscernible, as the ritual itself is not too much newer than dragon magic rituals, but during the course of the ritual, a prison spell is cast on all five Seekers.

- Wycliff, the Seeker.

I had thought Link described it well, but to put simpler timeless is not affected by age or years. 700 years is a fixed amount of time, therefore is not timeless. If your ritual simply ages your seeker of Time 700 years, then certain races could potential shoulder that burden.

The real reason I am worried about other forces being in play, is simply the fact an entire plain invaded our plain of existence over the Stone of Creation..... which I believe the World Dragon took, along with nearly wiping us and magic from existence. The more I think on it, I am not sure the World Dragon is something that I could consider an ally.

Let alone seeking entrance without being invited might not make it very receptive to answer questions.

I heard plenty about the events leading up to the erasure of magic, and I'm sure enemies of the like do exist, as you've said. Consider this, though: what would have happened to someone should they have tried to DFM the Creation Stone? Even imagining someone as strong as a Dragon Mage, can you visualize them being able to harm it?

That same force will be omnipresent where the ritual leads. I, myself, have no doubt that no one would be foolish enough to try ANYTHING aggressive in such a place.

As for the World Dragon, there are three possible situations I can think of: one, in which he is uninterested and well aware that we can't do anything of harm, and simply ignores us; two,

He is well aware that we are no threat, and it piques his interest that we managed to make our way to his domain unaided by greater beings, willing to converse and maybe answer a few questions; or three, where he is angry that we disturbed him/entered without his express permission, and decides to forcibly rift us back. If I am correct, he will find it difficult to harm us, despite his power. This phenomena, however, I will only be explaining to the other four seekers. In any of these cases, we will still have discovered the source of all magic. Anything additional is just that: additional.

While taking a break from learning to be a better black smith I noticed this lather long conversation and have a few things to say.

One. El, I'll ask the griffon about a spirit forge. the muse helped Shar become horny so maybe the griffon can help you.

Two. I don't remember promising to help with this, am I simply forgetting or did Shar volunteer me for some odd magic thing ... again.

Three. I know we can't stop you from trying this so I'll simply say don't bring the big bad thing back to town with you.

[Chuckles] I believe you are forgetting, Nommeric, but you are right that it is not an obligation that you made. It was simply something we talked about last March, and you said that you might be able or willing to help. If it might jog your memory, it involved the acquisition of a crystal that is untouched by magic. I was simply citing your name as someone I believed to be willing to help, I apologize for my mistake. I don't believe Shar had much to do with this assumption, save the fact that he, himself, is mostly onboard. Of course, you know him; there are few matter of this nature that his hand DOESN'T delve into.

As for the big bad thing... I'll be sure to take the few steps I would be granted before the World Dragon obliterates me in the OPPOSITE direction of the tavern. [Chuckles, once more.]

By the way, I do believe the nuances of my activities is a severe tangent from this discussion's original purpose, and I believe it may detract from the effectiveness of Eldandiril's request. If anyone has further comments on matter not directly applicable to a spirit forge for Eldandiril, please refer to me personally.

For the record, I am technically timeless, and I have dabbled in chronomancy. Though I will say that it is not something that should be taken lightly or used willy nilly.

But Wycilff is correct. I Am looking to redo my skills and would love some help to do so, I feel that my prospects in other lands may be few because most of my friends and loved ones reside here or only occasionally visit wayside.

Any leads would be great. I will be doing my best this year to assist Cena in her quest so it's likely I will be around.

With love and laughter,

Eldandiril

Nom,

Thanks a lot. I await your message.

Eldandiril

Back