Racial Refresher

I'm sorry, I can't hear your pro-human agenda over the sound of my own wylderkin awesome. ;-)

No one can hear anything over the sound of your love of your wylderkin awesome. ;)

Trace

But...but...we are awesome...

Hrmm... I am hearing something similar to a post from a few months ago about this...
and... personal opinions aside... even if "Everybody dislikes the National packet" (written by my friends mind you) Dani was quite accurate to mention that rule book comes first, national packet second and local packet just adds flavor and fleshes out the race culturally within that game world. If you don't like the rule book's description of how to play the race, or the national packet's description of how to play the race, then don't play the race. If you do, then you better have an amazing reason in your character history to not be playing it the traditional way, or be prepared to be race changed by a marshal.
I am suddenly remembering a dark elf who insisted on wearing incredibly vibrant "gypsy" clothing, had an accent, played an instrument in the tavern, spoke openly vulgarly, and offered himself up as a prostitute to many players (and insisted that was his primary profession)... I kid you not. He was gently spoken to. lol.

Your local wylderkin have civilization and even government(Albeit in a small-scale fashion, wich is perfect) per packet. It emphasizes they are people first. It gives them mental capacity beyond what the national material implies: and this is why we like it. I stand by my statement- and it is a compliment.

Last edited:
Much like any organization of beings that can speak, there is a social hierarchy/loose form of governance... true. That should represent the minority among their cultures who seek leadership positions. They shouldn't ALL act like humans with masks. Their animal instincts/inhibitions/fears/urges/desires will be much more apparent when you go to the Wylands. Matter of fact, we need to do an event there!!! LOL

High Orcs (local packet will be finished over the break)
  • Costuming (ARB p. 44): "High orcs have green skin and protruding lower fangs or teeth."
    National packet: "All High Orcs, male and female, wear green make-up on their face and have protruding tusks. Other make-up, used to represent war paint, is optional. An example of this is the black streamers that certain clans wear across their eyes. If you choose to create a clan, you can also create your own style of war paint. Regardless, the base color of a High Orc is green and all exposed flesh should be that color."
    "If your character was raised in human culture, you would normally dress as a human, while if you were raised with High Orcs or orcs, you will probably want to wear coarse cloth, leather and fur. No High Orc except one raised to it would dress in anything fancy or impractical."

• Minimum roleplay requirements (ARB p. 44-45): "High orcs enjoy being bossy, loud, outspoken, and picking fights. It is their nature to express their great strength and show all of those around them just how powerful they are. They tend to be rather blunt, and rarely is a member of this race shy or soft-spoken. Tactfulness is not a quality known among high orcs. ...All high orcs love battle. A high orc will prefer battle to surrender and an honest fight to an underhanded trick.
    "A high orc is not much of a forward-thinker or a schemer. Once they develop a not-too-involved plan, they usually stick to it. Also, high orcs use physical means to accomplish their goal whenever possible.
    "...Many high orcs are very superstitious. ...Curiosity is also a large part of the high orc’s nature... When one high orc meets another, generally they greet each other warmly."

• National packet notes: "They are no less intelligent than any other race, but their culture and perceptions are such that they appear unintelligent to those who do not understand their ways. ...A High Orc reaches their full height at about two years, although their intellectual age may progress slower than that. ...The typical lifespan is about thirty to forty years, although many die before they are twenty due to their exposure to danger and combat. ...No matter how your character began, all High Orcs love battle."

So I'm really interested in playing as a High Orc, but I wasn't sure what kind of 'green' was acceptable? Most of the LARP orcs I see have a generic green face, but to me that doesn't look cool. I was hoping to go with something closer to a dark green, similar to the orcs and uruk-hai in the LotR movies. Is that acceptable???

Its been my understanding that solong as you have the tusks and that when people look at you (forgetting in the dark, and the color blind for the moment) they can tell your skin color is definitely green of some kind, not brown, not black, you're set.

Last edited:
Its been my understanding that solong as when people look at you they can tell the color is definitely green, not brown, not black, your set.
Awesome; thanks for the quick reply. I've never actually LARPed before, though I've been interested for a long time. I wasn't sure what everyone would expect from me and I didn't want to invest in paint only to find out I was in the wrong... plus I don't want to step on any toes.

Bare in mind I am not an official, this is just what was told to me when I did some masks of orcs for the game. It should be solid tho.

Myep. Though for shadeing you can totally get away with some browner tones. Makes the green pop and makes it less toony.

B is correct! A bright green is common (probably due to makeup availability) but darker green is perfectly acceptable. Just not so much as to be mistaken for black or brown, as those are used for different species. B's response was pretty thorough. :)

B is correct! A bright green is common (probably due to makeup availability) but darker green is perfectly acceptable. Just not so much as to be mistaken for black or brown, as those are used for different species. B's response was pretty thorough. :)
Great, thank you both very much. I'll make sure I get an obviously green color and then use darker highlights to avoid looking like a cartoon character! Thanks again!

OK, so I did think of a question; I started looking through various websites trying to find the paint/makeup and there are so many different kinds. Do you have any recommendations on which is the best brand or type? I have no idea which is the best or works the best for running around and fighting? Thanks!

If its a major brand like Ben Nye or Wolff, you're probably fine, just remember to use a really good sealer and powder that stuff. Theres also alcohol based paints like Skin Illustrator. Theres lots of online tutorials for all of that buisness.
I will say though- skip trying to makeup other parts of exposed skin that arent your neck or face and go straight for bodysuits/leotards and stuff like that (then just use watered down acrylic paint to do detail and shading, weather by hand or with an airbrush.) because it will really just rub off anyway.

I use Mehron Paradise because it's gentle on the skin, good solid color, and stays pretty well. It's hard to get contouring or dimension with pancake though, so it's only really good for flat color. I expect other people have better recommendations!

Also: barrier spray and setting powder. Essential for making sure it doesn't come off all weekend.

I use Mehron Paradise because it's gentle on the skin, good solid color, and stays pretty well. It's hard to get contouring or dimension with pancake though, so it's only really good for flat color. I expect other people have better recommendations!

Also: barrier spray and setting powder. Essential for making sure it doesn't come off all weekend.

B. Barber/meiray - Thank you both very much. I'll look into those things and see what I can figure out; I've never had to use 'makeup' before so it should be pretty comical trying to figure it all out!

Hi, I had another question concerning makeup. I've started experimenting, but I think I'm screwing it up. Do I put on setting powder first, then the makeup (Mehron Paradise), and finish up with the barrier spray? I'm having the hardest time finding answers like this online, even on some LARP websites. Thanks for your time!

Wash face- then Barrier spray (then let it dry), makeup, barrier spray while damp because if its the paradise stuff, then I am pretty sure its the waterbase stuff right? (then let it dry)- then powder if you have excess moisture or need to matte it out.

Back