Slavery in Calliphestus?

Sheakhan

Adept
Hashing out potential character backstory for a new player, he asked about being a slave as part of it, but we were uncertain (I don't read culture packets that don't apply to me, and I don't recall hearing anything about it elsewise). Is that purely the domain of the Savage Legion, or would I be correct in guessing that there are douche bags outside of the Legion as well?

Considering you're not part of the Legion, Keegan, I guess we can pretty much guarantee that there are douchebags outside of the Legion.

ZING!

Hashing out potential character backstory for a new player, he asked about being a slave as part of it, but we were uncertain (I don't read culture packets that don't apply to me, and I don't recall hearing anything about it elsewise). Is that purely the domain of the Savage Legion, or would I be correct in guessing that there are douche bags outside of the Legion as well?

Hi Keegan,

This is a pretty good question, actually.

While I can't speak for the Seattle Plot team (they can do that for themselves), I have known of many characters whose background included being both a slave and a slaver, and those various relationships sometimes even found their way into game. Some cultures in-game - depending on chapter, of course - have no issues with slavery and use it as an everyday part of their society.

My advice would be to have a chat with the person regarding their idea of slavery, and make sure that if they decide to bring a relationship like that into game with another player, that they have a clear and shared understanding of what type of behavior is okay and what isn't, etc. and make sure all involved know that actions/words/etc. are all strictly in-game, then there shouldn't be an issue with staff being confused or having to step in, and all parties involved can have a grand old time.

But yeah, ultimately, it's best to contact the Seattle plot team and get their feedback if the questions pertain to the character being from their chapter.

Hope that helped. :)

-Adam

Long story short for Calliphestus:
  • None of the civilized cultures currently use "slavery", per se
  • Indentured Servitude is often used in lieu of slavery
  • If the new player wants to have a slavery, or slave-like, back story then the options are:
    • Write a unique back story with the understanding that the character may never be able to return home (mists are fickle)
    • Work with us in Seattle Plot for reasons ... <.< ... >.> ... o_O

I would definitely trust any man with shifty eyes, especially Seth.

In all seriousness, though, I'm going to echo the past sentiment here and say that you should talk to Seattle Plot. :D

Indentured servitude. It's slavery light... with a preset time limit.

Indentured servitude. It's slavery light... with a preset time limit.
Unless you screw up, then the time limit is extended against your will.

Back