September Event Favorites!!

So, uh, yeah. This event was kind of incredible, and I've got all the gratitude in the world for all the amazing people who helped make it happen, especially the fantastic NPCs who worked like crazy to put on a hell of a show. I can't even believe all the stuff that happened, and I'm sure that I'll be forgetting things when it comes to how many things I enjoyed, but ah hell, here goes.

-Donna Donna Donna Donna. So, this event was the culmination of damn near a year of writeups and poking my nose into places I wasn't supposed to, and to see it unfold so beautifully on stage was a delight. The way that you played the Sapling was perfect and it gave me all the warm fuzzies.
-My team. Full stop. Every single one of you makes my game so much better, and it has been an absolute privilege to get to grow alongside the lot of you. So much love.
-Ezri. There are few people who understand Kailani quite as well as she does, and you do an amazing job of balancing pushing her to be better and being there to comfort her when it all becomes too much.
-Sapling! I won't lie, I had a love/hate relationship with the little tree. Yes, it kept me from going on any mods or even leaving the tavern all that much. But it was such a cool looking prop, and getting to explain what it was, keep it safe, and let everyone touch it (mostly to spite the Amani Council, but hey, who's keeping track) was fun times.
-Speaking of which, the Amani Council. And lacking pointy ears and still being allowed to not only sit in on their meeting, but speak up on behalf of myself and my race. Sure, they basically implied that I was delusional or a liar, but hey. We won that discussion.
-Squires training. Did I hate waking up early? Hell yeah. But the roleplay was fantastic, and getting to later express how bizarre pancakes are in unmade form to Alda was fun times.
-Family of all sorts. V's pride in Kai, Tvard's enthusiastic support, being conspiratorially spiteful with Rali, Chulainn keeping tabs on her in that quiet, brotherly way he does, and sistertime with Alda.
-Okay, sister time gets its own one. Susie you are a freaking ray of sunshine and every single interaction with Alda reminds me of that. I'm pretty sure I would've lost my mind this weekend if it weren't for the fact that whenever I turned around, Alda was right there with me, equally devoted to caring for the sapling.
-Skelebros. So, first off, wow what a button to press, I almost forgot how strongly Kailani hated hearing voices until suddenly there it was. Whoops. Second, singing and meditating and generally being like "wow screw that guy" was nice.
-Playing keepaway from a dragon. Feeling completely screwed, trying a last-ditch, crazy plan to keep the sapling safe, and holy crap it actually worked! Mike deserves all the props because I'm not sure anyone else could've sold it quite so well as Ket. And Brian at the door, looking around and declaring "yeah he took it" and heading out was probably the best damn feeling. Then switching the tree over to Alto's ward, hiding under a bed, and having them never even suspect a thing was also incredible. I was half convinced we were set to res.
-Getting knighted. I had no damn clue that was going to happen, and slowly realizing as Ezri made everyone speak kiiiind of imploded my brain. And the way that it was done was so perfect for Kailani that I'm still brainsploded from it all. And receiving all that support from everybody? Icing on the cake. SO many hugs happened and it was so great.
-That final mod with my team. Hearing Sam shoot for "28" was freaking fantastic. Seeing Erden land the final blow? Even moreso.

There are so many things that I'm forgetting because this whole event was really super great. I can't wait to see what happens next!

It is fair to say that everyone had a very good time. It was an honor and privilege to play with you all and see some people who I have not seen in ages.

Special props goes to Donna and Collin for shooting me an email a month or so ago to invite me to write for an event that has meant much more than what was written on paper.

May I conclude by usual favorites strategy: "Quotes Out Of Context"
"GB PCs are messed up!"
"Magical.... hobo?"
"Herdsbane!"
"Tom, Do I count as one of the old people now?"

Cheers,
Mike Duetzmann

Back