More Potential New Player Questions

Cody S.

Hello everyone. My name is Cody. I am new to Alliance, but have been tabletop RPGing and LARPing about 14 years or so now.

A number of friends and myself were looking at possibly attending your event weekend in August, and I wanted to try to get some clarification on questions I had after reading the rulebook, the local players guide, and looking through some previous posts for answers;

1.) the players guide states that your first Alliance game is free (outside of a meal card) and that your annual membership is free as long as you play at Alliance Chicago. Is this still correct?

2.) what is the average event attendance of your game? Also, when do you start your events Friday night, and end them, late Saturday night or Sunday?

3.) reading over the weapon construction rules in the rulebook, it states that alternative core options to CPVC and PVC are "at the discretion of each chapter". Does your chapter allow weapons with fiberglass core?

4.) Are you allowed to bring donations to your first event? If so, are you able to use them normally at that point, or do you have to wait to do so? I am speaking in regards to getting some additional production items to start the game with, and/or a little extra XP/BP, because 15 BP looks incredibly rough to start at.

Thank you for taking the time to read these questions. I greatly appreciate it and look forward to your responses!

1) Yep, your first event is still free and as long as you actually attend our events we don't charge a membership fee.

2) I can't give you an exact average, but we've been running with about 35-40 PCs and 5-10 NPCs recently.

3) Fiberglass tubes aka kitespar will pass at least as often as a PVC core. Those are generally preferred over PVC, to be honest.

4) You can most definitely bring donations to your first event. You can use the goblin points you get from those donations to back-blanket up to 3 months worth of events and monthly goblin blankets. I completely agree that 15 is really rough to start with - I'd triple it if it were up to me, but that's neither here nor there.

Kyle is there anything in particular that your plot team is looking for in donations? Also if you could give an estimate on what those items would be worth to help decide what to make?

Thanks.

1) Yes, you do still have to pay for food.

2) Game on is usually between 9 and 10 pm Friday night, depending on when the majority of players/plot are onsite. Site usually opens around 6 pm to get bed space, get in garb, and to get your character card. Game ends Sunday between 10 and 11 am and we have to be off site by noon. Then we usually will go for food for afters.

-Daphne

I don't know exactly what we need right now, but we'll basically never turn down spell packets (or arrow packets or gas packets), high quality makeup (I prefer Mehron Starblend, but I don't know which colors we're low on right now), makeup sponges, baby wipes, or any racial prosthetics, like elf ears and what-not.

I wouldn't mind having a few LED push lights (like these) in NPC camp.

Awesome, thank you for the quick responses. I'm sure I will have a large number of packets to donate at least. If I read correctly, those are valued at 1.5 goblins per packet, if they are not the specified colors of white, blue, or orange?

I think I saw that monthly goblin blankets are 30 goblins stamps apiece, and non-attended event blankets are 60 goblin stamps apiece. Is this correct?

What is an appropriate way to send in a character/group history and cultural packet for approval? We aren't trying to rewrite a race packet or anything, just expand further on the race packet for our own specific group.

Thank you for your help. I look forward to hopefully playing in August!

I don't know what the exact rate is for packets right now (hey @Kitaruen, what's the current rate?), but they're usually at least 1 each. Last time I checked we have a decent number of orange and blue packets but some white packets would be lovely. They don't specifically have to be white, but that's what we prefer for spell packets.

We also give out goblins for doing extra cleaning at the end of the event - you're expected to clean up your own sleeping area and do a little for the common areas on Sunday morning, but if you do any extra, let our General Manager Rob know after the event by emailing waysidelogistics@gmail.com and he'll hook you up with some goblins.

Monthly blankets are 30 and a typical event is 60, that's correct. It's 30 goblins per day of the event - a one-day would cost 30 and a 3-day event (like the national event in Minnesota over Labor Day weekend) would cost 90.

For character/group histories, email it to waysideibgas@gmail.com - you can use whatever format you prefer.

Back