Ok I need help

Golanth

Alright my friend is making me a shield out of wood. I was wondering if I covered it with foam would it be ok to use in a fight? If not, what are some good cores that people use for shields? Also, I was planning on making my own sword. I was wondering if having a foam sword and covering it with say 1-2 layers of latex in order to give it a better look, is that legal? If so, what are some recommended cores for swords and what kind of foam could be used? And are serrated edges like the daedric sword from skyrim frowned upon? And does anyone have great links for plate armor creation or is shaped foam a better option?

So going down the list.

You can make a shield out of wood, though it will be quite heavy. Because we're a lightest touch combat system many people use double thickness sheet insulation for shield cores. Plenty safe to stop a boffer. See page 80 of the Alliance Rule Book (ARB) for construction guidelines.
Safety is the prime consideration when constructing a shield. All edges of the shield must be padded with at least 5/8 inch thick pipe insulation. Bolts or protuberances are not allowed. The longest dimension of a shield cannot exceed 36 inches. The maximum area of a shield is 531 square inches (a 26 inch diameter circle). This rule is enforced! Any recesses or voids in the shield silhouette will be ignored for calculating total surface area.

It's impossible to say for absolute certain if your foam sword would pass inspection until inspected. For guidelines however seep ARB page 81. With that said, it is also your best bet to follow the bolded:
It is always best to consult your local marshals to determine their expectations when you are designing or looking to purchase a new weapon.
Serrated weapons tend not to pass as they can unintentionally catch other weapons and yank on the wrists of players.

Shaped foam, dependent on the hardness of the finished product will not get you the same armor points as metallic armor. See ARB page 79. As for actual plate armor construction I highly recommend the following: http://www.sinister.net/wisbylb.htm off of this main armor archive: http://www.armourarchive.org/links/howtolinks.shtml

Plywood works fine as a shield material, though a max-size shield will be heavy. You don't have to coat the whole thing in foam, but you do have to have at least 5/8" padding along the edges. If you're using pipe foam around the edge of plywood, I like putting some flexible PVC tubing (the clear stuff) around the edge of the shield before attaching the foam. Otherwise the edges can eventually tear up the foam and you'll have to replace it.

Latex weapons are completely legal (on a case-by-case basis, as with all weapons), though they can be difficult to make. There are a bunch of tutorials if you go looking around online. The most basic core material is PVC pipe, though a lot of people prefer fiberglass tubes. You can buy those from Goodwinds. I've heard there's a company that's a little cheaper but I don't know the name. Those aren't your only core options, but I'd say they're probably the most common ones.

In general, big pointed edges on weapons will make them less likely to pass, but if you're careful to build it in such a way that it's not going to hook anybody's weapons or limbs and won't stab anyone in the eye they're not outright banned or anything. There's sort of a common sense criterion there.

Shaped foam won't get you full armor points and it may or may not actually stand up to the physical demands of the game. If you can get it, leather or metal armor will work a lot better. I'm gonna second the suggestion of a Wisby-style coat of plates, it's probably the easiest style of plate armor you can make. I haven't made one personally, but it's on a looooong list of crafts I intend to eventually get to. I'd personally go with sheet metal over the barrel plastic they suggest in that tutorial, though.

I was happy with how my shield turned out. It has a wood look for a fraction of the weight. The back is made of puzzle mat (which counts as a foam edge) and then it has a smaller layer of corrugated plastic on top. Then I added more weight for pure aesthetics with strips of corrugated covered with wood-grain contact paper. I realize now I could probably have used something like foam core instead. If you need tips on making a shield like this, feel free to chat me up.

1238362_10100659275324157_2620333738516561636_n.jpg
10373777_10100659274964877_8165250577090122796_n.jpg

Well you are probably wondering what my shield looks like. It is 25.5" in diameter with about 3/4 of foam on the edge

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 34
Back