Making a throwing dagger

I'm carving a throwing blade out of "couch foam". I'm hoping it will look like a blade made out of rock when I'm through with it. My question for those of you who may have made your own throwing weapons before is, is it ok to plasti-dip it? I was thinking of just dipping the blade and the tip of the pummel. But not the handle, and just wrap the handle in fabric...probably with glue so it doesn't go anywhere...or sewing thread would be better perhaps. Or should I just do a cloth cover for the whole thing because plasti-dip will make it too heavy and therefore illegal to throw? Thanks for the help and advice in advance.image.jpg

Couch foam is really light for thrown weapons, so I think if anything the Plasti-dip will help it out - I use thrown weapons made of couch foam wrapped in duct tape and they're no good for anything more than about 10 feet away. As always, I can't pass a weapon based on a description online, but I don't see any issues with taking that piece of foam and coating it in some PD. There are plenty of commercially made latex thrown weapons that I'd pass and Plasti-dip is pretty similar for the most part.

Only problem you run into with latexing/ plasti dipping open cell foam like that is it tends to soak the medium up into the middle and never really gets a solid dry. Also once it finally does seal and you compress/squish it for the first time it never wants to come back to shape. It's really hit or miss so make sure your first coats are super super light until you build a nice barrier and good luck!

So with more advice from other people I got some cheese cloth and spray adhesived it to the foam and then have started to pd it in light layers with aproximately 30 min between layers. And it doesn't seem to be absorbing into the couch foam, so it seems to be working. I like how it has kept its shape so far. I'll post a pic when the pd process is done.

Well, it went from being questionable, to serviceable, so kudos there. In the future, I'd highly suggest making thrown weapons from something more like camp-foam. They're more rigid, easier to work with, and readily take plastidip without trouble. If you're really into making your own weapons, I'd suggest delving deep into plastidipping and the tricks of the trade.

Back