State of Tavern Affairs

Relations between adventurers are straying farther and farther away from anything one could call "comradeship". Therefore, I would like to propose a gathering on the eve of next market day to sort out the internal issues currently plaguing us.

As we saw last market day, not much can be accomplished when we are divided. Having all able bodies present to defend against the barbarians could have altered the course of the battle, and conversely, sharing the current state of affairs in detail with everyone may have proved key in bringing all of those bodies together to do so.

Let me emphasize that I do not propose this meeting to serve as the battlefield for conflicting interests and blame. In order to bring all those present to a common understanding and goal, it is essential that everyone let go of any animosity they may hold against one another: such things serve only to tear us apart. Instead, the gathering would serve to peacefully identify concerns and find solutions that benefit all, and to ensure that every member of our ensemble us fully aware of all current affairs, as we can only work toward a goal when we can see that obstacles clearly.

All those in favor of such a gathering, please raise your voice. Only together can we restore the magic of these lands.

- Wycliff, the Seeker.

The very idea of such a meeting is good in theory, yet think of it in practice. I was aware of the debate regarding those who did and did not fight, and myself, found it petty at best. Think, for a moment-- the strong are angry with the weak for hiding themselves away. But really? The weak hid because they would waste lifes and potions, not because they feared the battle. Those lifes and potions were put to much better use when saved for the stronger adventurers.

There is no discussion to be had. Their anger is unfortunate, considering that many do not regard those weaker than them at all. Off on their own adventures, no one has time for the weaker group. How sad that many of the strong would abandon those who they demand aid from. As said, the argument and anger is petty and worthless, simply placed there to cause problems for the group as a whole.

This separation weakens both sides in the argument, and strengthens the dark forces working against us.

Everyone needs to get over it and move on. There are more important events at hand.

I agree. There are two sides and unfortunately people are upset. But lets just move on. This fight is long from over we have a lot to do still lets work together

You misinterpret my words: while I agree with what you've said, I am not simply proposing this meeting for the sole purpose of resolving a 'petty squabble', as you said. I seek to mend the cracks that run deeper than just the surface.

For all purposes, external and internal, this entourage is a family, albeit a dysfunctional one. Though we have disagreements, at the end of the day, no adventurer here is LESS of an adventurer than the others. Realize that we are under the same roof, yet seem to form two rooms from one by means of what some call 'experience'. As one who has watched the passing of several centuries and the dimming of many flames, I've come to understand the nature of experience. It is NOT that which you have seen and been through, nor is it comprised of knowledge or power: it is what you have learned from, and changed with that knowledge. One who kills a dragon with a single blow from their hammer is less experienced than the one who was felled by the beast's breath: when met with a dragon who cannot be felled by a hammer, what will that adventurer do? He learned nothing from the previous dragon. Yet, the one who failed will be wiser regarding his positioning and awareness of the dragon's flame, having learned from his previous mistake.

My point is not that the feats of strength and mighty deeds of powerful adventurers mean nothing, but simply that being powerful does not place anyone over those without such prowess: the same can be learned from fighting a goblin as fighting a dragon, and it is the knowledge we gain and how we adapt that makes all of us unique AND powerful in our own right.

Do not disclude those who have just begun their journey from that which impacts them to the same degree as you, but on the same token, it cannot be your sole responsibility to seek them out: those who do not ask cannot learn. It should be the plight of all to protect one another, as for some, 'one another' is all they have.

-Wycliff, the Seeker.

Wycliff;

I understand your intent, but it isn't going to work.... and that isn't to say that "adventurers" won't unify against a threat. For the record, I do not fault anyone who didn't choose to stay to meet the barbarian horde. An option was clearing presented, granted by another adventurer, to fight or flee. If you chose to flee, I trust your decision in survival. If you chose to fight, I thank you for your strength and courage. And both sides need to have understanding of each other. I know adventurers traveled from beyond the mist were half of the fighting force, with the local force being the Vanguard and the Squire Nyio.

I have seen forced town meetings attempted and more often then not fail. Perhaps the very fact that we are "adventurers" suggest that we all a bit of rebels and going against the grain. Even still people as a whole rarely live in harmony, less their wouldn't be kings, councils, lords, sheriffs, guards, laws, or guilds to try to make us "behave". People are even less likely to listen if there isn't respect for the speaker.

I like your definition of experience, but I find your definition to poorly fit your argument. Because if you do not witness the dragon and try to swing your hammer at it, how will you know dragon's flame or the strength of your arm. Replace dragon with Barbarians. People that fought now have experience to more effectively counter future Barbarian invasions.

I would also disagree with your dismissal "feats of strength and mighty deeds of powerful adventurers means nothing, but that being powerful does not place anyone over those without such prowess." If you to fail to respect those more powerful, adventurer or not, then they will most certainly pay to the disrespect back in kind. And you most certainly do not learn as much fighting a goblin as you do a dragon. Different tactics must be used, generally against most foes and creatures. There is a reason their are elders and teachers in the world, as simply no one can have experience and have knowledge of everything. It might be a different story if someone was shouting their feats and deeds to brag and expect you to pay tribute because of their fame.

If any are new to the toils of adventuring, I urge you to seek out those experienced for guidance or join a guild of those who share your interests. I apologize if you feel excluded. If you lack finding aid that you seek, find me and I will do what I can to find aid for you.

I would also urge caution, as anything said here, is open for everyone to see. This includes allies we are trying to win favor of or foes looking weakness and cracks. As this conversation perhaps opens old wounds that were healing with time or even delivering new wounds.

Last edited:
Well said, Rayne, though I do stick by my dragon analogy. It was not my intent to cause further harm, but words unspoken are thoughts deceased, and therefore I have stated my opinion: whether or not it is possible is up to those involved.

By the way, if you wish to contest my mentor's logic, I suggest a more private setting, or perhaps next we meet.

-Wycliff, the Seeker.

Back